• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual Trans. Fill / Drain Plugs

ajeeperwannabe

NAXJA Member #1367
All new to the XJ and looking for the plugs in the transmission. stoopid i know, but im just over looking them for some reason. BTW '87 4.0L 5 speed

Thanks

ajeeperwannabe said:
All new to the XJ and looking for the plugs in the transmission. stoopid i know, but im just over looking them for some reason. BTW '87 4.0L 5 speed

Thanks
Good luck. You have the Peugeot BA10/5 tranny. The plug is in the side of the tranny and has a recessed, square drive head that seats flush against the transmission body. It takes a metric wrench to fit properly. Don't recall the size, but the only tool I ever heard of that fits it right is a drain plug wrench I have left over from when AMC was selling Renaults and I had bought a Renault drain plug wrench.

I would measure it for you, but I'm several thousand miles away from it at the moment.

I hate that stupid Peugeot POS Tranny. The only thing that I still need to take to someone else to change fluid... if anyone knows the tool size, that info would be much appreciated!!!

Baby that tranny. It's expensive to rebuild, and not very strong. Mine works, but if I have to rebuild it once more, I WILL swap it. I should have done it last time, but didn't have the time. Be gentle shifting, double clutch if you have to.

Had the same problem. I ended up making the tool to take out the plugs. Used a big bolt and squared up the sides till it fit good, then swaped out the tranny for an AX-15.

Finally got a chance to look at the tranny last night. JUst to make sure im right, the fill/check plug is on the passenger side and the drain plug is in the back on drivers side - looks like a 3/8" extension will take it out...

Thanks again for the help

Back