• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

more power or new gears?

ryder

NAXJA Forum User
whats better to do? i have 32x11.5 mud tires with a 5 in lift. should i replace the gears or install a new chip and a throttle body spacer for more pony's. what are th ups and downs of both?

Swapping gears makes your transmission last longer, and you won't be able to make up the torque difference lost to those tires just with bolt-on engine mods.

i have the 4.0 with no bolt ons, and i run a 11" lift with 35x12.50's bfgoodrich all-terrains. stock gears, and i dont feel much power loss. although i did buy a set of 4:56's, and there is a huge difference:) go with re-gearing. oh, and a throttle body spacer doesnt do shit. not worth the money.

rydesolow said:
i have the 4.0 with no bolt ons, and i run a 11" lift with 35x12.50's bfgoodrich all-terrains. stock gears, and i dont feel much power loss.

What?!?! I noticed a difference going top 31's and I already have 3.55's!

Needless to say, I call you out.

Oh, and regear

rydesolow said:
i have the 4.0 with no bolt ons, and i run a 11" lift with 35x12.50's bfgoodrich all-terrains. stock gears, and i dont feel much power loss. although i did buy a set of 4:56's, and there is a huge difference:) go with re-gearing. oh, and a throttle body spacer doesnt do shit. not worth the money.

WTF?

Add horse power. Regearing is over rated. :laugh3:

Wow this is frickin funny.
Can we move it to the den so I can speak my mind... :lecture:
almost everyone is right.
Your jeep will last longer with gears.
your jeep will wheel better with gears. because rock crawling is all about "crawling". that means going slow. That means having really low gears.
having 32's and stock gearing is like starting from a stop in 2nd gear and having another gear above overdrive. you know, that whole jumping in and out of OD while on the freeway.

Back