• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High idol

ibjeepin821

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys 89 4.0 Auto and I am having problems when im idoling. It is high and usually hangs around 2 when not in gear and when I put it into gear it usually slams into gear (especially reverse) but is fine once in gear. I have been looking over vaccum lines and repaired a few but I didnt know if there was anything else that could cause the problem. If anyone has some ideas please let me know!!

Idol?

6.jpg

When I'm idoling, I like to have my supplicants prostrate themselves before me. That seems to help.

ibjeepin821 said:
Hey guys 89 4.0 Auto and I am having problems when im idoling. It is high and usually hangs around 2 when not in gear and when I put it into gear it usually slams into gear (especially reverse) but is fine once in gear. I have been looking over vaccum lines and repaired a few but I didnt know if there was anything else that could cause the problem. If anyone has some ideas please let me know!!

i had that problem on mine and it was the intake manifold gasket.

good luck

XJ Dreamin' said:
When I'm idoling, I like to have my supplicants prostate themselves before me. That seems to help.
Fixed it for you.

a high idle is normally caused by a vacuum leak. Check the black hard line that goes behind the battery down to the vacuum canister behind the front bumper.

8Mud said:
xj dreamin' said:
When I'm idoling, I like to have my supplicants prostate themselves before me. That seems to help.

Fixed it for you.

You're right. Having them rip out their own prostates is way more entertaining than mearly having them lie face down in front of me.:laugh3:

old_man said:
a high idle is normally caused by a vacuum leak. Check the black hard line that goes behind the battery down to the vacuum canister behind the front bumper.
Most any cracked vacuum hose causes a high Idol.

okay okay ya got me.......IDLE...IDLE....sorry my Bible school requires me to use the word idol (just did a 10 page paper in idols) a lot and...well...yeah I messed up please forgive me. Yes dont worship false idols and i agree Billy Idol rocks. Anyway substitute Idol for Idle please!!

I will re-check the hoses and I will take care of the TPS in the morning. Any other idead please let me know!!

also take off the air cleaner hose and look in the throttle body while it is running to make sure the throttle is returning to fully closed when no pedal input is being applied.

ibjeepin821 said:
I will re-check the hoses and I will take care of the TPS in the morning. Any other idead please let me know!!
I've found the easiest way to eliminate possible vacuum hose or vacuum operated gadgets, as a cause of high idle, is to make a bunch of short sections of hoses (about a 1 1/2" long) with a plug in the end (any handy screw will do) and plugging off every vacuum connection on the intake and see what happens. The only connection you really need is the MAP connection. I keep a selection of plugs in the tool box, vacuum problems/leaks are fairly common.
Stuck or sticky IAC, is also a strong possibility. Loose intake bolts (be careful they snap if over tightened). Loose TB, the gasket shrinks and the bolts get loose. TPS can also cause idle problems.
Not bathing, owning only one set of clothes and driving a ratty Jeep will cure the high IDOL syndrome. :laugh3:

ibjeepin821 said:
okay okay ya got me.......IDLE...IDLE....sorry my Bible school requires me to use the word idol (just did a 10 page paper in idols) a lot and...well...yeah I messed up please forgive me. Yes dont worship false idols and i agree Billy Idol rocks. Anyway substitute Idol for Idle please!!

Sorry. Couldn't help myself :kissyou: There was this thread recently. I thought of the prostrate supplicants gag too late to use it there. When your post came along I had to use it.

Besides - I knew you'd get what you need from the NAXJA experts in the end anyway.

Good Luck.

8Mud said:
Not bathing, owning only one set of clothes and driving a ratty Jeep will cure the high IDOL syndrome. :laugh3:

Don't give up, 8Mud! I'm sure there's a supplicant out there for you, somewhere.

XJ Dreamin' said:
Sorry. Couldn't help myself :kissyou: There was this thread recently. I thought of the prostrate supplicants gag too late to use it there. When your post came along I had to use it.
XJ Dreamin' said:
Seriously. According to NAXJA archives (type "fast idle" [with quotes]), fast idle is a vacume leak, or MAP related (which equates to vaume leak affecting MAP).

Three words:
Pot, Kettle, Black ;)
(Like I've never done anything like that :laugh3: )

I've never have figured out whether it's gauge or gage, just know it isn't gag. My smell checker is no help at all.

Back