• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker Questions

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Im lookng to regear my 98 DD in the early spring, and I want to put in a front auto locker for the few times I get to go offroad. I want it to be invisible on the street while not in 4 wheel drive, and from what Ive searched and read, the Aussie is about as quiet as it gets unless you go ARB or OX. Are there any other lockers that can compete with the Aussie for quiet? And do the Aussies need yearly rebuilding like some others? I put many many miles on my jeep in a week, maybe 10% of the time does it see 4x4, but when it does... But I can't put in a locker I need to be rebuilding every 20,000 miles or so, I put on over 25,000 a year just to and from work.
Thanks

i've got an aussie in the rear...and it aint quiet. I do get some funny looks cruizing around town. but then i dont have any other experience with lockers to compare relative dB levels with. Also dont know about the rebuild thing...i'd just change the diff lube once a year depending on your attraction to mud and look at the pins/springs to check for anything amiss.

When I offroad, its usually mud or at least water. Would it be quieter in the front, since its not being engaged until I drop it into 4wheel?

You won't notice it in the front. The rear is very ratchety and noisy. They don't need rebuilding. They are one of the best lunchbox lockers out there in my opinion. I've owned three different Aussie Lockers, and haven't had issues with any of them. All are in my DD.

So they don't need rebuilding ever or only need rebuilding as often as you may need to look at your diff. itself?
Which I guess is pretty much never...
Do you need a special type of gear lube or anything in the diff. for lunchbox lockers?

Edit: Ive also read tons about how bad auto lockers are in the rear on snow, are they as bad in the front? I wouldnt think so cause im not in 4 wheel that often in snow, and usually not on ice either, but thats just how I drive...

Last edited:
98XJSport said:
So they don't need rebuilding ever or only need rebuilding as often as you may need to look at your diff. itself?
Which I guess is pretty much never...
Do you need a special type of gear lube or anything in the diff. for lunchbox lockers?

They need it now and then. Depends soley on you, but probably not needed every 20K.

No special lube needed, but run good the stuff anyway.

Edit: Ive also read tons about how bad auto lockers are in the rear on snow, are they as bad in the front? I wouldnt think so cause im not in 4 wheel that often in snow, and usually not on ice either, but thats just how I drive...

They can be, depending on your driving style. But only in 4wd.

If you drive like you are locked in front (no hard gas pedal when going around turns or going up an offcamber slippery hill), you will be ok.

I haven't had to rebuild mine in the two years I ve owned it. It is not noticeable in 2 wheel drive except for the occasional click on very tight turns. No special lubes although I do run synthetic in both my diffs. As far as snow I like it better than the rear only locked, it doesn't seem to push and traction is anywhere you steer it. I love mine it works perfect and unlike the lock right it has no tire size limitations. Just buy it you wont be disappointed.

I run one front and rear.. i will say that i believe you should try to use some heavier diff fluid to help quiet them down IMO

i love mine.. ive driven a jeep with a lock rite.. and i believed it functioned a little louder than my aussie.. especially after i got my aussie "wore in"

I wouldn't worry about the noise in the front. I am running a detroit in my D44 and it is pretty noisy so I expected my buddy's Aussie to be similar. Not at all. We can only hear it when rounding corners and even then it's not as noisy. Just a little clicking noise. Another plus is the ease of installation. I am throwing one in next month. Go for it!

Back