• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front shocks question part2

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, so I found two shocks that would suit me:
1. Bilstein 5100 custom made for Racecar Dynamics. Height (collapsed/extended) seems to be what I'm after and they're valved @ 300/40. $76 each
2. Edelbrock XTreme. Same thing: height seems to be what I'm after. Unknown valving. $80~$100 each.

I know everyone swears seems to swear by Bilstein's, and I'm leaning that way. What makes it odd though in this case is that Bilstein custom makes them for RD and I had to call them to get specifics of the shock (warranty claims go to Bilstein though).
Any take on Edelbrocks? Those who run them, how do you like them?

Also, how would the 300/40 valving be?

I dunno, what is your suspension setup and how do you use your junk?

For reference, I'm running a 3 link, daily drive my junk, mainly go rock crawling, but like it to work in the desert.
I have the 275/78 7100s on the front of mine and they're good for rock crawling, great in the hi-speed desert stuff, and O.K. on the street.
The only drawback on the street is the rebound damping is too soft.

Jes said:
I dunno, what is your suspension setup and how do you use your junk?
In the front I have mostly RE stuff: short arms and 4.5" XJ coils with a spacer up top.
How do I use it? It's not a daily driver but I do take it occasionally to work and when I do, I want to get there in a reasojnable amount of time (means I drive at about 75~80mph).
Trail wise, seems that recently I spend more times in rocks then anything else.
I don't mind a harsher ride, but I don't want to feel like I'm riding in a buckboard.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Edelbrock tech rep who tried to convince me that he knows better what travel shock I need to get. On top of that he claimed that the valving is proprietory information and he wouldn't disclose it. At the end, his suggestion was a shock which is a TJ shock (travel is what I want) which "should" perform more or less like a cherokee shock in a cherokee.
:confused:
So who's run edelbrock shocks? Which shock have you ran? How did you like it? WHat kind of terrain did you run it on?

Kejtar said:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Edelbrock tech rep who tried to convince me that he knows better what travel shock I need to get. On top of that he claimed that the valving is proprietory information and he wouldn't disclose it. At the end, his suggestion was a shock which is a TJ shock (travel is what I want) which "should" perform more or less like a cherokee shock in a cherokee.
:confused:
So who's run edelbrock shocks? Which shock have you ran? How did you like it? WHat kind of terrain did you run it on?
I can understand them not wanting to disclose valving information, and I'm not sure it would be very comparable to the Bilsteins (or SAW, King, Fox, etc) because they have that active valve. As long as it's a TJ shock, and not an F350 or Suzuki shock, and it has the right lengths, I would go for it.

Have you looked at the lengths on the Poly Performance BBCS?

Back