• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

donor for ford 9" for XJ

Skullver

Still Flailing
I am going to the junkyard and was wondering what would be good donor vehicles for a ford 9" rear for my xj. I want something that is similiar in width and has at least 4.10 : 1, and maybe posi?? Thanks in advance!!

you can try to find the rear axle from an early bronco, but good luck with that. you can also try looking under the little body lincolns, the mercury monarch, and its' twin, the granada. as for gears, good luck finding any above around a 3.54 ratio, as this seems to be about the most common, even in trucks. posi units' are decently common in the cars, especially the lincolns. hope this helps.

trucks generaly have the desired 31 spline shafts
housings after 76 (i.e. 77 and newer) are stronger

avoid: f-100's, mustangs (most are 28 splines)

read here:
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

thinks to keep in mind:

bolt pattern and width.
most 9" stuff is 5 on 5.5, and the d30's are 5 on 4.5

granted, most of the 9" stuff IS big pattern, what i listed was the same pattern as the XJ/MJ, and fairly close in width, also. you may also want to consider this- the 28 spline axles are ALOT more common in the wrecking yards, so, IF you do bust an axle-shaft, the odds are better that you can get one from the 'yard. also, the axle-shafts tend to be interchangeable from side to side, so this means that you only need ONE for a spare. you can also find the 9" with disc brakes from the factory under alot of the cars mentioned. just food for thought.

Try a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer. Right bolt pattern, very close width and the later models can be found with 4.10s, posi, and even disk brakes. Stronger than a Dana 44 too.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Yes, stronger than a d-44, right up until the "C" clip decides to pop, then, you might as well have a d-35 "C" clip axle again. The only thing holding the tire on is the brake caliper at that point. Time to get the "C" clip eliminator kit from the aftermarket.

Could you find me an example where the Ford 8.8 blew a C-clip?
Jeep on!
--Pete

do not have any pix, but the guy over in town named Derek------- blew the passenger side "C" clip in his ranger, using stock 4.0 V-6 power, auto tranny, and 33" boggers on a hill climb over in the Red River Gorge back in the summer. Also, I know of ALOT of (here is the reason) 5.0 mushtang boys that pop their axles pretty often at the strip and at the stoplights.
Granted the 8.8" is a good axle, but "C" clips kind of kill it for me.

Last edited:
ren said:
Yes, stronger than a d-44, right up until the "C" clip decides to pop, then, you might as well have a d-35 "C" clip axle again. The only thing holding the tire on is the brake caliper at that point. Time to get the "C" clip eliminator kit from the aftermarket.

You realize that the C-clip does not see torque loads, right?

Either your axle shaft is strong enough to withstand your input torque, or it is not.

If it is not, and you break a shaft, you need to change it ASAP (on a semi-float design). Period. C-clip or bearing retainer design. The retainer style will hold the shaft a bit longer, but if you roll on it for long, you risk destroying the bearing cup, as the tapered roller is subject to shear and twisting loads that it is not designed to handle by itself.

Now, back to your thread.

The older Ranger 8.8 and the mustang 8.8 are inferior axles compared to the 31 spline Explorer 8.8 (and late model FX4 Rangers apparently). Please don't confuse them. The Explorer 8.8 is said to be capable of reliably handling 38s if you swap in a locker that replaces the carrier (the relative weak point). According to the numbers in a 4x4 magazine a while back, the Explorer 8.8 is closer to the strength of the Dana 60 than it is to the Dana 44. If I can find the numbers, I'll post them.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Last edited:
OK, lets' try to clarify this alittle bit, shall we. More to the point, the actual "C" clip itself will not break, but the area where the clip goes is machined into the end of the axle and is a fairly deep cut. Now, if you manage to "shock" load this axle shaft hard enough, and the axle goes to twist, this is the weakest point in the shaft, so, tends to be the point that breaks. Now you are back to the problem of keeping the wheel attached. And yes, regardless of "C" clip or bearing retainer design, the axle shaft does need to changed. I have had the "mighty" D-44 rear axle decide to crap the wheel bearings and then the axleshaft would leave, so it does happen. It is one of the downfalls of the light duty, or semi-floating, axle design. I have even had the Chrysler 8 1/4 do the same thing.

the Explorer 8.8 is closer to the strength of the Dana 60 than it is to the Dana 44
Ummm .... no.
the 8.8 is no where close to the D60 as far as strength goes. It is equivalent to a D44 in strength. if the wheel bearings go there isn't a semi-floating axle out there that won't toss the axle. Even my Nine has done it.
under something as light as an XJ it (the 8.8) will last fine with something smaller than 35's ... but if you wanna know it's weaknesses just ask anyone with a fullsize ford and 33's + .... it sufferes form a weak housing (tubes spin regularly) and weak spider assembly (ususally the cross pin shatters and take a fiar bit with it). search the 'net as there are readily documented fixes for all of these.
granted the axle shafts themselves are faily strong (ALMOST equivalent to a stock 31 spline 9" truck shaft) it's the rest of the axle that kills it.
for the time and money involved the explorer 8.8 is the easiest means to and end ... it will live just fine under an XJ. with a little help.

As I said, according to the magazine the 8.8 is "closer" to the Dana 60. These are their numbers:

Dana 30 frontaxle COT: 640 MOT: 2350
Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500

COT: Continuous output torque rating
MOT: Maximum output torque rating

Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler, page 60.

Notice that: 225 ftlbs x 3.83 = 861 ftlbs (4.0L + AX-15 in 1st gear)

Also, I don't think it's right to compare a fullsize 8.8 that sits under a heavy truck and behind a big v8, to the Explorer 8.8 that would get installed under a light XJ/MJ and behind a 4.0L.
Jeep on!
--Pete

if an 8.8 is like a dana 60 then what the hell is a ford 9" bb31spl close to? A top loading rockwell?? I think not

and by 8.8 we would be talking about the explorer 8.8 that would be a candidate for a XJ swap

The 9inch is also close to the Dana 60 (though that article didn't give numbers for it). I'm confused, why exactly are you trying to place the 9" so much higher than the Exp 8.8?
Jeep on!
--Pete

9 inch, more spline axle shaft, none c clip, bigger ring gear, stronger carrier strong axle tubs and arnt likely to spin one like on the 8.8 and its a fullwidth

Pete M said:
As I said, according to the magazine the 8.8 is "closer" to the Dana 60. These are their numbers:

Dana 30 frontaxle COT: 640 MOT: 2350
Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500

COT: Continuous output torque rating
MOT: Maximum output torque rating

Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler, page 60.

Notice that: 225 ftlbs x 3.83 = 861 ftlbs (4.0L + AX-15 in 1st gear)

Also, I don't think it's right to compare a fullsize 8.8 that sits under a heavy truck and behind a big v8, to the Explorer 8.8 that would get installed under a light XJ/MJ and behind a 4.0L.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Using this info, throw it in 4lo (2.72:1) and you just smoked a 60... 2342 ft/lbs

The Blu Yak said:
I call bullshit on those numbers from fourwheeler

Well that does it, you have spoken. Thanks for setting the world straight.

I will sleep better tonight.

Back