• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4" backspacing enough?

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine is selling a set of 4 chrome American racing wheels 15x8 with 4" backspacing. The chrome isnt my favorite, but it doesnt really bother me.

Right now, i'm on a 3.5" RE superflex with 31x10.5" Dayton MTs. They are mounted on stock rims and rub pretty bad on the swaybar endlinks when connected and the RE LCAs. When disconnected, the tires hit the swaybar endlinks badly when stuffed and they tend to eat up the mounts where the quick disconnects hook up.

Will a 4" backspacing be enough to keep the 31s off the swaybar links and the LCAs?

And i searched, didnt really find much on it, so i apologize for that. Thanks guys.

Kenny

4" of BS is just about perfect for vast majority of situations. Should work good for you currently and if you go to a wider tire.

Michael

so you think it'll be alright with the 31s i have now, and maybe if i go up to 32x11.5 or 33x11.5-12.5? thanks for the quick response

You'll be fine w/ 4" BS. I'm running 33*12.5 on 4" BS and they stick out about 2-3" from the stock flares (no rubbing on LCAs):

LIFTED_SIDE1.jpg

DR

norcal420 said:
You'll be fine w/ 4" BS. I'm running 33*12.5 on 4" BS and they stick out about 2-3" from the stock flares (no rubbing on LCAs):

LIFTED_SIDE1.jpg

DR
Same here. JIM.

NCCherokee said:
A friend of mine is selling a set of 4 chrome American racing wheels 15x8 with 4" backspacing. The chrome isnt my favorite, but it doesnt really bother me.

Right now, i'm on a 3.5" RE superflex with 31x10.5" Dayton MTs. They are mounted on stock rims and rub pretty bad on the swaybar endlinks when connected and the RE LCAs. When disconnected, the tires hit the swaybar endlinks badly when stuffed and they tend to eat up the mounts where the quick disconnects hook up.

Will a 4" backspacing be enough to keep the 31s off the swaybar links and the LCAs?

And i searched, didnt really find much on it, so i apologize for that. Thanks guys.

Kenny
Aren't your stock rims 4.5" BS?
If they're rubbing bad then the ones with 4" BS will rub almost as bad.
I'd go with 3.25"-3.5".
That way you'll be better when you go to 33s.

And OK when you go to 35s

Yes, it will happen, it's inevitable.
The sooner you come to terms with it the better off you'll be. :dunno:

oh i know its inevitable. But not until there is money. Not a lot of that to be had when in college. Anyhow, i'm pretty sure they are 5", not 4.5" They arent stock cherokee rims, they are grand cherokee, which i dont know if that makes any difference. When i first go the lift on, a buddy lent me his 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing, and they stuck out a good 2-3" further than mine do now, and they didnt rub at all. Im fairly confident they are at least 5", someone on another forum said 5.5", but i dont know about that.

Back