• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan only works on "high"

artmo

NAXJA Forum User
my 98 cherokee"s heater/a.c. switch will only work on the hige position. won't work at all on the 3 lower settings. what could be the problem? thanks

It only works on high because that is the direct wired connection to the fan so naturally you get full fan. The slower speeds use a resistor network.... different sized coiled wires if I recall correctly.

It costs around $15 and is usually located on the engine compartment firewall near the heater core hoses. If it uses the same design as my Crysler minivan (very likely), it's about 1" by 2.5" and you'll need to push in two spring clips on the short ends of the unit to release it from the firewall. The whole unit will then come out. Often the harness is partially melted and will need to be repaired. This info is based on what I found with my 96 Plymouth Voyager. Hope it helps.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

Tre said:
blower motor resistor is my guess. its quite common.

In my 99, the resistor was on the passenger side under the dash. 3-4 bolts holding a plastic plate on, then 3 bolts holding the resistor.

Same for my Wifes 2000 TJ.

Cost around $50...

Back