• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non-club Truckhaven run 12/17 and 12/18!

gcurtis

Shirley Temple was a nug.
Yep, an overnighter to Truckhaven to check out new parts on a couple of newly built rigs. Family friendly and we'll be staying in Borrego Springs, hopefully at the resort if I can block some rooms.

Leave OC/Anaheim Hills at 7AM and arrive around 10A on 12/17. Wheel all day and head to the hotel/motel. Clean up and dinner in town, perhaps some night wheeling. Return in the morning for some more wheeling and head home by noon (12/18).

Lockers not required but a cow bell to the first one to hit the chicken button (those always locked are whimps anyways). ;) Bypasses on all of the hard stuff and the group will wait for all to regroup. Great trip to take newbs out to teach them how to drive and fun to test your metal with some of the more hardcore rigs.

Have the usual: strap, recovery points, extinguisher, first aid and tools to fix your crap.

Game?

RSVP, willya?!? The sooner the better for securing rooms. Possible petroglyph side trip on Sunday on the way home.

You know what... I finally have matching front and rear diff ratios... So I am going to be game for this trip...gotta find some shorter shocks for the rear of my heep... So I can stop using the existing ones as bump stops...:D

It'd be great to have you out there. Bring your better half, two of the guys are bringing their wives/fiances. More if others commit like I think they may. Hell, I may even bring one. ;)

Going to block rooms manana at Borrego Springs Resort... I'll shoot for a few.

I may be game for a day trip.... (no need for a room... my door is 40 minutes away :wave: ) Baja trip fell through so I may be able to run down, don't know about the wife she gets bored....not much to see, maybe a kid or two. Your dead on about the type of terrain... mild to OH ! $hlt ! and it is a great place to run all types of rigs & skill levels....5 ways to get to the top of the same hill.
Pencil me in....just incase Baja comes through....
Curt :us:

You're counted. ;)

We'll have kids and wives in tow in many of the rigs. I have a spare seat or two for those that need extra spots.

We'll meet at the gas station/Captain Jim's on South Marina Drive when we get out there. Details as we get closer. Right now we are five rigs solid and two more on the come.

Leaving Anaheim Hills at 6AM in caravan.

From there we will meet Rob and his son in Corona and continue on the way out to Borrego Springs. We'll check in, drop tow rigs, gas up and meet at the radio tower/overlook to Truckhaven at 10A.

Wheel Truckhaven all day and lunch on the trail.

We'll be on ch 15. I'd give out a cell number but I get no reception out there.

Look for: Black XJ, Green XJ and two green TJ twins.

Sunday:

Check out, move tow rigs, eat breakfast and run Fish Creek/Pinyon Mtn/the Squeeze, down to Ocotillo. Grab tow rigs, eat at "Famous Burgers" (or whatever the name is) and move out.

I'm in!!
Hacienda Del Sol? The wife and I contemplated buying the place over the summer.....should be good for the four by types. Its just around the corner from my new place. I'll swing on by Saturday morning and head on out with the group.
We have a large XJ contingent in Borrego Springs now. I'll try to contact them and let them know about the run.
Have you posted on the Just Runs site?
Maybe Tom and Mark.....Steve and his wife (Wilma?) and Bill Barker...oh yeah....Bill and Linda....I'll make some calls. I need to get out and add some body damage!!!
Rick R :sunshine:

fdsa487 said:
I would want to come out but I work all day Saturday. I would roll out there early on Sunday morning because I dont work but your all leaving around noon.

you ever been out there before it is a lot of fun. it is the only place i have come to almost rolling the jeep over. like i said lots o fun. you should make a point to go with us to the TDS run in march . Mark

Jump This said:
I'm in!!
Hacienda Del Sol? The wife and I contemplated buying the place over the summer.....should be good for the four by types. Its just around the corner from my new place. I'll swing on by Saturday morning and head on out with the group.
We have a large XJ contingent in Borrego Springs now. I'll try to contact them and let them know about the run.
Have you posted on the Just Runs site?
Maybe Tom and Mark.....Steve and his wife (Wilma?) and Bill Barker...oh yeah....Bill and Linda....I'll make some calls. I need to get out and add some body damage!!!
Rick R :sunshine:

Sweet! I don't know what time we are going to be at Hac del Sol, we are just dropping tow rigs and a wife who won't be wheeling. If anyone has a wife she could hang out with for the day it might be appreciated.

Let's shoot for the radio tower/over look on S22 at 10A. Good staging spot to air down and disco before dropping in. 15 is the number of the day... the radio station, that is. Mine will be on from the time I hit Salton Sea 'till dinner at the Mexican restaurant (mmm... margaritas).

Just runs? I know nothing about it.

I need to correct colors. We have a black XJ, a steel blue XJ and two green TJ's. Another XJ (don't know the color) and another TJ (again, don't know the color). Ah hell, just look for the SocalXJ sticker on my back window (black XJ).

Last edited:
Cool as of now I'm still in.... 10:00 at the Tower on Ch. #15....
1 moderately equiped white 96 XJ.... my buddy with the TJ has to hang around the house.
As the Un-official Mayor of Truckhaven I will be await'n your arrival. :wave:
See Ya !

don't wanna sounds stupid, but would i be able to go with my stock xj? i really wanna get out and learn how to drive off road better, but don't wanna get into something that my jeeps not built for yet.

01_XJ said:
don't wanna sounds stupid, but would i be able to go with my stock xj? i really wanna get out and learn how to drive off road better, but don't wanna get into something that my jeeps not built for yet.

Truckhaven might be a bit much for your stock rig. The place consists of twisty slot canyons that will get a lifted rig with major articulation on two and three wheels.

gcurtis said:
Truckhaven might be a bit much for your stock rig. The place consists of twisty slot canyons that will get a lifted rig with major articulation on two and three wheels.

Hey G man/01 XJ
I think Truckhaven is a great place to run stock and with the modified rigs....
Most (not all) hills can be topped by one of several routes.... thats why I frequently run down there if I put a run together.... everyone has a good time, something for everyone.
On the other side I'm not sure what or where you want to go... your trip and you know where you want to run.
I think you said it best.....
"Bypasses on all of the hard stuff and the group will wait for all to regroup. Great trip to take newbs out to teach them how to drive and fun to test your metal with some of the more hardcore rigs."

mark91xjbeef said:
you ever been out there before it is a lot of fun. it is the only place i have come to almost rolling the jeep over. like i said lots o fun. you should make a point to go with us to the TDS run in march . Mark

Almost rolled it! Im there! haha! j/k I'll try and get the days for TDS off work.

Xtreme XJ said:
Hey G man/01 XJ
I think Truckhaven is a great place to run stock and with the modified rigs....
Most (not all) hills can be topped by one of several routes.... thats why I frequently run down there if I put a run together.... everyone has a good time, something for everyone.
On the other side I'm not sure what or where you want to go... your trip and you know where you want to run.
I think you said it best.....
"Bypasses on all of the hard stuff and the group will wait for all to regroup. Great trip to take newbs out to teach them how to drive and fun to test your metal with some of the more hardcore rigs."

Hey Curt, when I think of a stock rig, I think of a connected swaybar. Truckhaven really doesn't play well to a connected swaybar in many, if not all, of those twisties.

When I was talking about "newb" drivers, I was speaking of wives, gf's and drivers in newly lifted rigs.

I would say, at a minimum, a lift would be required. However, if 01 wants to come out he is more than welcome to do so.

Last edited:
Back