• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advise for a new XJ owner

Waxman

NAXJA Member # 1379
I just bought a 2001 XJ Sport. I have been trail riding Wranglers for several years but I am brand new to XJ's. I am planning on keeping the XJ as a daily driver but I would like to make some mods to it to increase it's capability as a camping / mild off roading vehicle. A few questions:
- What is the largest tire that fits without a lift or cutting? I guess a 30 x 9.50 x 15 will fit - If not, what does?
- What are some of the better lift kits on the market that will enable me to run 31's with out cutting?
- What is the street ride like on a lifted XJ?

Sorry for the rookie questions but, like I said, I'm new to XJ's. So far I love mine and want to keep it for a long time. Any help here will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Welcome to the XJ world and Welcome to :NAXJA:

The largest tire that can be fit stock would yes be 30 x 9.5 x 15, you can fit 31 x 9.5 x 15 with some trimming. As for the lift anything that advertises as a 3" lift kit will clear your 31 x 10.5 x 15. I run Rustys and am very happy with it. Others choose to run Rubicon Express and are also very happy with them. Ive heard bad things about the cheaper lifts like tough country but i guess some like them but if your concerned about street ride your only option is the Old man emu lift. They advertise a better than stock ride and they have a heavy duty version that will give you ~3 - 3.5 of lift and allow you to clear those tires. They are very pricy though but i havent heard one bad thing againced them (- the price). Other lift kits that claim 3" will give you around 4-5 after setteling and around 6 brand new.

When you lift you may want to invest in an SYE (slip yoke eliminator) and CV drive shaft, though you could probobly get away with a transfer case drop, the sye and shaft will be more of a perminant fix as the t-case drop is more of a band-aid. A good SYE (i like advanced adapters or PORC) will run you anywhere from $160-$300 and a decent cv drive shaft (i like tom woods) will run you about $289. All depends on which t-case you got.

Though the questions you asked could easily have been found using the search button ^_-

im running 33s on my 01 with a sagging 3inch lift keep the . BUT>>> from what i think though you should just do a nice little 3inch lift. or even a cheap 2inch BB,,,some 31 ats. ..wheel it. build up the outside.. armor bumpers stuff like that. then it will grow.. but thats later..:wave:

o yea welcome any questions feel free to pm me. if i dont know i can find out

keith h

remember.. you have a long wheelbase now. Things that normally require big tires to go up and over in a wrangler can be done in smaller tires in an XJ.

From your original post it sounds like you want a 3" OME lift. The best money can buy and worth every penny if you want to clear 31's and keep an excelent on road ride.

Personally, I know many people who are happy with the ride quality of their lifted xj's from 3" to 6" and who drive them daily. But for a off the shelf best you can get the OME is the way to go.

I have had a 3" lift (brand new gave me 3.5" of lift). I have had a 4.5" lift (brand new gave me maybe 5"). I have never even heard of a 3" lift providing 6" of lift the comment above.

A SYE will be a very good plan for your truck. You might also want taller gears depending on your preference.

Michael

2xtreme said:
I have never even heard of a 3" lift providing 6" of lift the comment above.

you have never heard of a full springs kit providng that amount of lift? ask anyone with a rustys.

helix said:
you can fit 31 x 9.5 x 15 with some trimming.

outside of the TSL radial, who makes a 31x9.5" tire?
From my reasearch, the TSL is not a great daily driver.

I run 2" Old Man Emu lift, and bosted with 3/4" spacers, and 3/4" blocks.
Ride is beautifull, firm but not one bit harsh whatsoever. Rebound is totally controled. Sharp bumps(expansion strips, potholes etc.) are totally absorbed by the suspension, and the rig never 'skips' across anything anymore.
Definatly a smoother more controlled ride than stock.

Flex is amazing, I pulled 925 on a 23* ramp.

The 2-3/4" lift combined with 30" tires makes a very capable trail rig.
Suprises many folks with larger tires lift... evan with open diff's.

Should I ever need to replace my current XJ, I'll do the exact same lift again.
I makes an awsome daily driver, and a capable trail rig.
The only thing I'd like to do at this point, is grab some factory 16" wheels, and throw 245/75-16's on it... ~31x9.5.

helix said:
you have never heard of a full springs kit providng that amount of lift? ask anyone with a rustys.

I have installed 3 rusty's 3" lifts and 2 rusty's 4.5" (with full packs) lifts. None of them including the 4.5" lift came out at 6" of lift brand new. None of them have saged more than 1" and most of them have been installed for several years.

just my experience
Michael

Waxman said:
Advise for a new XJ owner
Don't wheel it.
XJs have no frame and will fold up like a taco if taken off road.

Thanks everybody for the advise and welcome. I know now I should have done a search first before asking a boot camp question.

I have been seriously looking at the OME lifts - I'm glad to hear that you all think highly of them. A few questions:
1. What is the difference in the light, medium and heavy duty packages - spring rate? The more gear and armor the more medium to heavy duty I should go?
2. Is the OME kit complete? Will I need anything else like a SYE or extended brake lines?
3. Any recommendations for sites to purchase one through (good service and price?).

Thanks again.

The OME lift isn't big enough to require longer brake lines, SYE, steering mods, different control arms, or anything else of the sort.
The more crap you plan on carrying, the heavier duty you should go. If you plan on running a Bullbar, or similar style winch bumper with a winch, go with the heavy front springs. If you plan on running a rear bumper/tire carrier and camping crap, get the heavy rear springs. Just remember, when it is empty, it will ride a little higher and a little stiffer than when it is loaded.
A good place that I have found for ARB or OME stuff at a really good price, is Rocky Road Outfitters. They can be a little dumb with customer service sometimes, but they have been around a while and try really hard to please.

If you plan on wheeling it in the rocks, without lifting it much and running 31's , armor your rockers first! most people install a lift and tires and rush out to the trails to try it out thinking that they dont need aromor yet because it is not a very serious rig yet. This is when the most damage occurs, the XJ has very compliant suspension, and can get you up and over many things that will bash the body.

IdahoEagle said:
The OME lift isn't big enough to require longer brake lines, SYE, steering mods, different control arms, or anything else of the sort.

i highly suggest new brakelines regardless of whether you can "get by" with stock. a small lift doesnt require ne wlines at static height, but add swaybar disconnects and you have considerably MORE whel travel. if you dont want to get stainless braided lines get some stock YJ lines and you will be all set. i suggest buying a COMPLETE kit. and dont base it on price alone. and with it being a 2001 i suggest you "expect" to need the SYE. although you may not after all is said and done.

Back