• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to drain fluid in ford 9"

steveVA

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a currie 9" and I have a question. I think I know the answer to this but do I have to unbolt the 3rd member to drain the fluid.. I just installed it and am going to start breaking the ring and pinion in tonight but I wanted to change the fluid at 500 miles or so, thanks

Yep. It's kida good & bad in a way. There's no cover to rip off & have leak & no drain plugs to rip out like so many toyotas that I've seen, but you have to pull the axles & third member to drain the oil. The only other route would be to buy a suction gun & suck out all the fluid. Or get a small hand pump & pump it into a bucket.

Matt

is there anything bad about using a pump as oppossed to pulling the 3rd member?? I know most things that are easy usually aren't as good
thanks

.357mag makes a nice hole. hard to close back. with the pump you won't get all the old oil out.

2offroad said:
.357mag makes a nice hole. hard to close back. with the pump you won't get all the old oil out.

...and, when you have the gears out it's a good time to inspect for early signs of wear or breakage, plus you'll always have some metal that won't come out via pump.

It can be a bit of a pain to pull a third out under a truck, and you have the potential of a leaking third to housing seal to boot, I would go the suction gun route myself. I have to many other projects going on to inspect my gears.

I think the best solution depends on what you're looking to do.

Just routine fluid maitainence change - pump out and re-fill would be fine.

You suspect the fluid has water or particulates in it - you want to pull the whole thrid member and clean everything out.

You can use brake parts cleaner to spray the housing face down with and use a paint scraper to get all the old gasket material off. Clean it up good and you should be able to get a good seal with new RTV when you re-assemble.

Take a 1" hole saw bit cut a 1" hole in the bottom of the housing and weld in a nut flush with the bottom of the 9" there is plenty of room between the housing and the ring gear, and put a allen head plug in it, you cant rip it out!! you would have to tear the whole bottom of the housing off. ;)

Back