• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BG-44K Sux!

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
I 'was' getting 19-21 MPG in my 98XJ, then got the wild hare that it could do better... put in a can of BG44K with a fill-up and now am getting about 16 MPG.

..."Fu**i'n Great"!!

I AM NOT IMPRESSED; Someday, I may learn to 'leave well enough' alone!

wow 19-21??? whats your secret? I've tried everything in mine to get it above 14-15.

I noticed the same thing. I was getting 22 highway, 16/17 city before cleaning, after the 44 and a throttle body cleaning, I'm down to 19hwy, 14 cty. not sure if it's me just using the gas more or if the cat or some sensor got screwed up.

You need to look futher. BG44k is a cleaner. It has been used professionally for longer than most of you have been alive. If things changed radially and not for the better, you have another underlying issue. Try your fuel filter first.

BG44k cleans injectors and makes them flow better. If you computer does not correct, you may end up running too rich. The most common problem with running too rich and losing mileage is either an O2 sensor out of tolerance or a cat that is shot.

Now the next thing, if you don't compare mileage over a significant number of tanks, all bets are off. Also as the weather cools, your mileage will drop.

old_man said:
Also as the weather cools, your mileage will drop.
Yeah, why is that? I've averaged 17.4 over the past 2400 miles give or take a few, and now I'm getting around 15.5.

Timber said:
Yeah, why is that? I've averaged 17.4 over the past 2400 miles give or take a few, and now I'm getting around 15.5.
Because we have crap for gas in Ohio because the state don't test it.
That makes us a dumping ground for the gas companys.

I've head gas companies have "winter blends". I know there is winter diesel, to help keep it from gelling. Don't know about gasoline though.

Anybody?

I think they do have a winter blend of gas. MPG dropped in both my vehicles at the same time.

Timber said:

because the change in temp changes the chemical properties of the gas and makes it more dense and changes the oxygen causing it to brun faster. but its OK because you get more gas when you fill up because its more dense in the cold so it averages out :D

Haleyes said:
I've head gas companies have "winter blends". I know there is winter diesel, to help keep it from gelling. Don't know about gasoline though.

Anybody?

In northeast IL at least, they have (or used to have) summer and winter blends-

Summer blend was 10% ethanol to reduce pollution, Winter blend was just regular gasoline.

not sure, but I think they just go 10% Ethanol in everything now.

either way, my milage has sucked since the start of cold weather, or the bg44, or winter blend gas. no way to tell I guess until it gets warm out.

I put a can of BG44k in my tank during the summer and didn't notice a significant change in mileage either way.

Since the weather got colder, I noticed a small drop in my mileage but it could be just the wind.

I am contemplating putting acetone (injectors atomize gasoline better) in now to see if it helps any... that was my plan of progressive 'fixes', but after the last debacle maybe it is not a good idea and just may "FINISH" screwing it all up'!

...or maybe just
no-BLAH.gif

i know some cleaners will kill the o2 sensor. i used b12 to clean my engine and thought i would just get the throttle body and ended up having to get a new o2 snsor.

langer1 said:
Because we have crap for gas in Ohio because the state don't test it.
That makes us a dumping ground for the gas companys.
i know that when i got some gas out of state my jeep was geting 13mpg unlike the 10 i get with ohio gas

txredxj said:
i know some cleaners will kill the o2 sensor. i used b12 to clean my engine and thought i would just get the throttle body and ended up having to get a new o2 snsor.

On a MPI engine like the 4.0, adding any type of cleaner to the fuel tank will have no effect on the throttle body because only air, not fuel, goes through it. I could certainly see some types of cleaners ruining an O2 sensor though; those are quite sensitive.

urban_offroader said:
On a MPI engine like the 4.0, adding any type of cleaner to the fuel tank will have no effect on the throttle body because only air, not fuel, goes through it. I could certainly see some types of cleaners ruining an O2 sensor though; those are quite sensitive.

it's air only from the top, but what about all that crap that builds up just below the butterfly? :exclamati

BCParker said:
it's air only from the top, but what about all that crap that builds up just below the butterfly? :exclamati

Look at where the injectors are. There is only air (and whatever else the filter lets by that is in the first part of the intake mani.) fuel dosen't enter the air charge untill RIGHT before it enters the head therfore if you use a cleaner in the fuel it will have no affect over probably 98 percent of the intake mani. Now if you are using a Throttle Body injection (early 2.5s and4.0s I believe) then you have an air/fuel charge going through the whole intake mani. When direct injection takes over (such as in disels and some Izuzu engines) fuel won't even touch the intake mni at all it will be injected directl;y into the comb. chamb. (hence the name direct injection)

I know where the injectors are, and what they do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that air is the only thing that flows through the TB, but the bottom half of the TB, below the butterfly, will often be coated with carbon/oily black build up.

the bottom of the TB is exposed to the sludge that is expelled into the intake manifold from the rear CCV line on the valve cover.

fuel system cleaner poured into the gas tank will only clean carbon from the injectors and cylinders.

to clean the sludge from the intake manifold and below the throttle body, I used the stuff that is connected to a vacuum line and dripped directly into the intake manifold to clean the runners, along with a spray TB cleaner misted over the TB while opening the valve.

(although this all might just be snake oil, and I don't know what I'm talking about.)

:wave:

B

That black carbon sludge is from the stock breather coming from the valve cover into the air intake. Oily fumes from the crank case get deposited in the intake on thier way into the motor to get burned.

Back