• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Mount (Have you seen This?)

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine gave me this winch mount off his XJ when he sold it. He thinks it's the Factory Optional one but I'm not so sure. I am not where my XJ is right now. Are those mounting points where the OEM bumper mounts to the unibody? There is a funny shaped plate (not shown) behind the 4 mounting bolts that has threaded holes. Can anyone give me some info on how this is supposed to bolt up or even what brand it is?

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

I use my XJ on easy to moderate trails only, but I have found myself at the end of a strap twice now (pulled by the sway bar for lack of any other option). I know that factory points are weaksause for serious pulling and winching, but it's better than what I have now. When the XJ starts seeing more serious trail use, I'll pony up the dough for a real bumper with proper mounting points... but I would like to see how this works for a while.

Thanks!!

Ok.. an easy question for anyone reading this...

Do those 4 mounting holes look like the pattern and position of the stock bumper mounting holes on the XJ?

Thanks

Harvo said:
Ok.. an easy question for anyone reading this...

Do those 4 mounting holes look like the pattern and position of the stock bumper mounting holes on the XJ?

Thanks

Yeah, it looks like it just uses the stock mounts plus one. And that is not a OEM unit, never seen it before though. What does it say on the front of the fairlead?

The fairlead came with a winch. I looked for a name stamped in the metal but there isn't one. Thanks for the mounting hole info.

The warning sticker is just a typical "keep hands clear" sticker. The mounting plate is really nice by any standards. The hooks are mounted in predrilled "hook points", and the side plates are pretty thick and nicely worked. The only cheese factor on the thing is the top cross piece. It is made of stamped aluminum. I think the shape is supposed to compliment the face of the XJ. I may replace that piece with some tubing.

Harvo said:
The warning sticker is just a typical "keep hands clear" sticker. The mounting plate is really nice by any standards. The hooks are mounted in predrilled "hook points", and the side plates are pretty thick and nicely worked. The only cheese factor on the thing is the top cross piece. It is made of stamped aluminum. I think the shape is supposed to compliment the face of the XJ. I may replace that piece with some tubing.

You need to fab up some better mounts if you're actually gonna use it for a winch.

I've had it in the garage all summer collecting dust. I wasn't really considering using it. I have been researching winch bumpers pretty extensively over the last month and was about to buy the JCR Offroad Stage 1 bumper. I have gotten the itch to put 33's on the XJ though so I'm doing that first. I have this thing in the garage so I may as well make it work until I can justify the nextJeep Purchase.

Thanks for the advice, It shouldn't be too tough to extend those brackets.

Harvo said:
I've had it in the garage all summer collecting dust. I wasn't really considering using it. I have been researching winch bumpers pretty extensively over the last month and was about to buy the JCR Offroad Stage 1 bumper. I have gotten the itch to put 33's on the XJ though so I'm doing that first. I have this thing in the garage so I may as well make it work until I can justify the nextJeep Purchase.

Thanks for the advice, It shouldn't be too tough to extend those brackets.
I am using that very same plate as the center of my bumper. I have a print for some stout brackets that also strengthen your steering box mount. PM me if you want it.

Back