• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration Damper TQ Spec.

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I know the TQ Spec is 80lb... But how important is that?? I cant get it to that spec, the crank just keeps turning. I have read about putting some screws into the holes and hold it with a bar or screwdriver but I cant get a screwdriver and the ratchet to both fit... Any ideas??? I have put it all back together and it runs fine and I dont see any problmes for now with it but I would like it closer to spec just for safty reasons...

Thanks
Chris

I had the same problem the first time I reinstalled my old balancer (damper) after replacing the timing chain and ended up driving around a bit with about 60-70 ft-lbs torque. It doesn't affect operation but you don't want that bolt to back out. (I don't know what the liklihood is of this happening but I reckon there is a reason for the 80 lbs.) I just installed a new one using a rubber strap wrench around the damper -- worked perfectly. These are advertised usually two sizes to a pack for around $20. Sears has them and I assume most home centers. I got mine at Lowes.

On my 85 2.5L, the wrench jambs neatly against the little front engine mount for both removing and installing. For the 4.0 I assume you will need an extension for the handle or something like a bit of 2x4 to jam the handle to the garage floor.

Back