• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear shock triangulation?

rupert

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a xj 44 last nite off a guy , and he moved the shock mounting location to the top of the axle about an inch from the spring perch and they meet in the middle over the centre of the diff,bolted together then mounted to the body said it worked good until it ripped out of the floor . DO you guys see any reason for doing this or should just take off the stock mounts off my 35 and reweld them back in the stock location , i am puting in 8 inch rk lift if that matters at all ? any help would be great ?

For maximum effectiveness you want the shocks as vertical as possible.Those mounts sound a little high without doing something about the upper mounts.These are my modified M.O.R.E.'s.
shock%20mount.jpg

ive got mine on almost a 45* angle, seems to be working well, i did it just because my shock mounts are a bolt welded to the axle tube

ya now that i go out and look at the stock brackets they hang really low , so i think i will weld some off the back of the tube , but doing this wont my shocks be to long now , and could i just lengthen the bumpstops to correct this . the shocks r included in the kit so i dont want to buy new ones .

If the angle of the shock is increased, the shock travel relative to the suspension travel will be reduced, so the amount of dampening will be reduced. It will be especially reduced for controlling sway since the body will sort of rotate around it's center when leaning, so there is less resistance to sway with the shocks leaning inward. If the shocks are too stiff, or the springs are too stiff, and the driver isn't very sensitive to handling characteristics yet, they may not notice much off a difference.

It's pretty easy to cut off the stock shock mount and move it up. Just radius the stock mount shorter to position it roughly even with the bottom of the tube and weld it back on.

IIRC, the mounts should also remain on opposite sides of the axle tube. Axle wrap?

Back