• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ok how do i get the door open now?

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj. went out for dinner. came back out to the jeep. girlfriend try's getting in after i unlock the door. and its stuck. i try opening it from the inside. the handle would pull. but wouldn't unlatch the door.

I have a feeling the the linkage in the door may have f'd up some how. or the plastic clip let go.

so the question is. how can i open the door. so i can at least get the door panel off and start investigating?

its not frozen is it? or a slim jim, or just take apart the panel from the inside

unfortunately, this is going to be a bear- the easiest, and least destructive way is to pull the seat, then pull the doorskin loose at the bottom and the rear edges, tehn reach in and trip the door latch. you will find it alot easier to do if you remove the armrest, also. if you are in a hurry, then just rip the skin off the door.
good luck, and i hope this helps.
Ren

i think it may just be frozen. it was fine so far this winter. but i had the xj inside for most of the day today cuz i was painting it. took it out and it was colder then usuall here today. -29C so i may just try and poor some hot water over it and see what happens first.

damn i hope thats all it is.

ren said:
unfortunately, this is going to be a bear- the easiest, and least destructive way is to pull the seat, then pull the doorskin loose at the bottom and the rear edges, tehn reach in and trip the door latch. you will find it alot easier to do if you remove the armrest, also. if you are in a hurry, then just rip the skin off the door.
good luck, and i hope this helps.
Ren
I agree. Getting door open from inside the door isn't that hard. But getting the panel off with the seat in the way might be. If I remember, there is one or two screws holding the armrest on, then a few holding the door lock button thing on. Oh, and pull the window crank off if you have those. I guess if worst comes to worse, the plastic clips can be replaced if you have to just break em. Panel should slide up some. Seat might be in the way to work it out.

First thing to do, is make sure the door is shut all the way. If it half locks to one degree or another, the handles and buttons don't work.
Try manual lock and unlock a few times, sometimes it looks like it's in the unlock position and it isn't.
*Make sure the door button is out all the way*.
You can remove the inside switch and door latch assembly (three phillips screws), unhook the locking rod and try to work it by hand (make sure the outside door button is out all the way). There is a rubber anti rattle thing on the door lock rod (about half way down inside the door), that can slip and gum up the works. If your in there anyway, tear it off and throw it away.

thanks for the idea's guy's. gonna wait till morning to try and fix this up. i think i'll just start it up and let it heat up and see if it free's up.

i agree i bet the lock got jammed up. cuz i have a feeling the GF pushed the button while i was unlocking it. (manual locks btw)

If it turns out to be frozen remember to spray the seals with silicone, will keep it from freezing again.

Before I started to pull the entire panel, I'd take a (philips?) screwdriver and pull the handle and trim cup. With a little luck, you'll see two control rods in there - the one still attached will go to the lock. The loose one will go to the latch.

You'll also be able to see the clips you're working with, and you'll be able to take the cup out anyhow so you can fit metal clips instead of nylon ones (why replace a part with something that sucks?) Metal linkage clips should be available at a well-stocked local, or a NAPA.

Anyhow, if you can't get to the rods by removing the handle and the trim cup, then you'll need to pull it anyhow to get the door filler panel off - so no effort wasted there.

5-90

Tre said:
thanks for the idea's guy's. gonna wait till morning to try and fix this up. i think i'll just start it up and let it heat up and see if it free's up.

i agree i bet the lock got jammed up. cuz i have a feeling the GF pushed the button while i was unlocking it. (manual locks btw)
Usually when the button is pushed when it's unlocked it can be fixed simply by relocking and unlocking at least once.

Another thought I had on this is that possibly she jammed the seatbelt in the doorjam? That's become a common occurrence around here now that it's gotten cooler - apparently it's easier to twist the seatbelt and jam it in the frame when she's wearing a coat. Make sure the door is unlocked and have her hold the button in as if opening it - then from the inside you need to kick the door open. Trust me...it works to get the belt out if that's the problem.

Jim

Yucca-Man said:
Make sure the door is unlocked and have her hold the button in as if opening it - then from the inside you need to kick the door open. Trust me...it works to get the belt out if that's the problem.

Jim
I'm picturing her standing in front of the door holding the button in, then you kicking the door open. Then BAM! you telling her, as she rubs the inprint in her forehead, that will learn ya. :twak:

Last edited:
The first time I lined my Size 15s up on that door, the thought of possibly busting her in the head crossed my mind...

Mine has busted off a dozen keys in a FSJ and two XJ's. And pushed the buttons through the front of her central locking remote control twice. All the drivers side arm rests are loose. I'm convinced no kind of handle or locking mechanism is safe when she is a around. Every time I get in an XJ after she has been driving, the first thing I do is take the knot out of the seat belt strap.

Remember, if it has tits or tires you will have trouble with it..........try at all costs not to combine the two.........

lmfao guy's. Ok got it solved this morning. luckily it was just frozen up real good.

thanks for all the excellent info. some of these reply's gave me a good laugh this morning.

Back