• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastic "jumper" key...

George2

NAXJA Forum User
Merry Christmas, Y'All!

PLEASE beware- there's asshats around who are managing to pick up the OE plastic "jumper keys" that the factory gives out with the original owner's package... those damn things work in a WHOLE BUNCH of applicable models folks!

I can't believe that DC would have given such as pass key out to so many owners- there's only 5 "master" keying combinations. It's basically a plastic key blank of YOUR key pattern, and all you have to do is turn the blank to cut new "keying" into the blank- they gave them out as part of the OE package!

My 1991 was stolen, from some "punk" who got ahold of the cheap "credit-card" tear-out of the master key. I hid mine some 10 years ago, and forgot about it... STUPID ME! AFTER my recovery, I had time to "play" with the stupid passkey, and found I could start several of my friends heeps using my "self-cut" plastic key. What a dumbass idea, huh?

There were 5 series of "cards", and the same of locks for the steering column. Usually, using the "key" once would junk your ignition switch- but I've done some playing around, and I could use the cheap plastic cut copy to get my stuff running, and down the road. 1991-1993 are some pretty easy marks for thieves.

The friggin' punk who stole my stuff was the same POS that gave me a big "Thumbs up!" when he watched me filling the gas tank at the local station- yeah, I recognized the POS! I don't know his name (yet), but I WILL!

Grand Theft Auto should come with life imprisonment. Fuck what kinds of heros we are "creating" with the stupid video games... Better idea- leave ME alone with the POS in a room for 30 minutes. Problem solved. Bring in the body bag, because that piece of crap has no idea how much blood, sweat and tears I have invested- and how willing I am to restore the universal balance of "karma". You steal my crap, you will feel the same pain I suffered building this mess of metal. Damn, I hate that asspipe, and I hope some big, angry XJ owner in the hole makes him his "BITCH".

In MY eyes, he's one step above a child-molester, and needs to be delt with in the same fashion... leave ME alone with him for 30 minutes, then return with a BIG trash bag, because that's all that will be left.

Take home idea- remove/lose those plastic "keys", because they're nothing but trouble! They were innocently meant for the ORIGINAL owner to be able to get home, should something horrible happen- but that was WAY back when locking yourself out was a horrible thing; today, we have to worry about pieces of human garbage who use whatever means they can get to remove you from something you love dearly. PLEASE, do NOT ever offer your plastic passkey to anyone, even if they offer you big$$ on E-Bay! Once you've "cut" the key to fit the door, it ALSO will fit the ignition. Then you have one Punk-Ass in baggy pants who has YOUR stuff. Die, Wigga', DIE! That POS didn't even APPRECIATE what he stole- he just took it!

Your friends, and those you care about will thank you- I SURE DO!

Thanks for listening/reading. Whew! I was wound up pretty tight- sorry!
I have my baby back, and I'm SERIOUSLY happy and grateful! She wasn't hurt, and I have much to be thankful for- and MANY plans to prevent this from happening again.

Bless all you guys, and thanks for letting me cry out loud a little, without making fun. Yeah, I cried- my XJ is my "mid-life" project, and means EVERYTHING to me. I have no little red sportscar, or blonde half my age...

But DAMN, I got's me one HELL of an XJ- and I intend to KEEP that thing!
Happy blessings to all of you- and especially to all of you who have patiently guided me along to where I am. We'd be serious JUNK without the advice you guys have shared! I learned more HERE in 2 years, than I learned about "cars in general" in 45 years...

2006 will be different- my Christmas present to myself is to insure my "junk" for TWICE it's quoted replacement price (HELLO, it's a 1991!) If I get ripped off again, I want at LEAST what I need to buy an acceptable "starting point"!

George2 said:
Merry Christmas, Y'All!

... leave ME alone with him for 30 minutes, then return with a BIG trash bag, because that's all that will be left.

No need for a trash bag.....just a hose to wash down the "SCUM" that would be left after I spent 5 minutes with a POS like that if they stole my rig.

I hope that hose is attached to a pressure washer - at least, for me. At 250# and with 11.5EEE shoes, I won't leave enough for an ID - unless you have a genotype on file already...

Oh - might need some caustic soda as well. Or some muriatic acid to bleach the concrete.

On the other hand - I do need to get four full sets of locks (door, hatch, and ignition) for my XJ's. 1987/1988/1989/1989 - so I should be able to put them all on the same key. Any ideas?

5-90

A little hot headed?
ahh.gif
Just fawkin with ya.

I hate fawkers who steal cars, if I ever found out who stole any of my cars, I wouldn't let the law know who did it.

A guy at work has a late 80's Yota and his key so far has opened and started 3 other Yotas. Its still the factory key, but so worn out, seems to work on all. My older car key work with eachother too, '64 El Camino, '66 Chevelle, and '67 Camaro.

Was that done on the 97+ XJ's? I hope not. I've got pretty good insurance, but I still wouldn't want to go though what you did. Losing my XJ would cripple our family, because it's our "family" vehicle.

Glad to hear you got it back.

prb24 said:
Was that done on the 97+ XJ's? I hope not. I've got pretty good insurance, but I still wouldn't want to go though what you did. Losing my XJ would cripple our family, because it's our "family" vehicle.

Glad to hear you got it back.
me also but i think a 97+ is alot harder to steal

Last edited:
George2 said:
Merry Christmas, Y'All!

In MY eyes, he's one step above a child-molester, and needs to be delt with in the same fashion... leave ME alone with him for 30 minutes, then return with a BIG trash bag, because that's all that will be left.

Hyperbole I hope. If not, one suggestion....It's a car!

GAB

5-90 said:
On the other hand - I do need to get four full sets of locks (door, hatch, and ignition) for my XJ's. 1987/1988/1989/1989 - so I should be able to put them all on the same key. Any ideas?5-90

Not to hijack - this has been discussed and I also am curious. One key would be nice, especially if it is NOT the old RA(mbler) pattern this plastic passkey fits(?)

I have checked into Motormites replacement cylinders. They only offer the GM key for our Chevy steering column (my 2d), leaving the door locks and rear hatch the problem. I speculate that maybe doorlocks off an S10 might - might - work, if the same keyway can be found. The issue isn't the bumps Walmart grinds on the key, it's the grooves down the sides - that's what is called a keyway. Cylinders can be rekeyed easier than finding keys that fit two different keyways (unless they are plastic passkeys.)

It looks like there is no solution to this yet, kind of like trying to find the "In Like Flynt" presidential ringtone to download . . . (oww, did I just nail "old school" to my forehead?)

TiRod said:
Not to hijack - this has been discussed and I also am curious. One key would be nice, especially if it is NOT the old RA(mbler) pattern this plastic passkey fits(?)

I have checked into Motormites replacement cylinders. They only offer the GM key for our Chevy steering column (my 2d), leaving the door locks and rear hatch the problem. I speculate that maybe doorlocks off an S10 might - might - work, if the same keyway can be found. The issue isn't the bumps Walmart grinds on the key, it's the grooves down the sides - that's what is called a keyway. Cylinders can be rekeyed easier than finding keys that fit two different keyways (unless they are plastic passkeys.)

It looks like there is no solution to this yet, kind of like trying to find the "In Like Flynt" presidential ringtone to download . . . (oww, did I just nail "old school" to my forehead?)

I'm curious about that, because the 93 still had a Saginaw column, but it had a Chrysler key, single for the whole vehicle, unlike the earlier Saginaw equipped Jeeps with the usual GM key pair. Of course the fact that Chrysler managed to put a different lockset in a Saginaw column doesn't mean that you can find one, but they must exist somewhere.

A little off topic but, my fam got mixed up with a few keys. We found a key to a
96 mercury sable works on a 96 Mazada Navajo too. It seems a few people have been cutting a few too many corners.

clean96XJ said:
A little off topic but, my fam got mixed up with a few keys. We found a key to a
96 mercury sable works on a 96 Mazada Navajo too. It seems a few people have been cutting a few too many corners.

That doesn't suprise me...the Mazja Navajo was nothing more than a re-badged Ford Explorer Sport. The real scary stories are the ones where people have same make/model/color cars, and end up driving away from the store in the wrong car.

Last edited:
ok sort of funny story my wifes cousin had a chevy cant remember what it was but he worked a double shift and went to leave work got in the same model car but different color started it dorve it home and woke up the next day to find a blue car and not a red car in his driveway luckily he took it back to work and his car was still there the other person was still working.

Back