• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

part #'s for longer shocks

smilesyota

NAXJA Member #1366
Does any one have any part #'s for longer shocks say from autozone or some place like that? I have 3in springs up front looking for a longer front shock. I've read here that a yj front shock is longer and if so how much?
I raised the rear shocks flush with the axle tube so I can use stock rears.
Thanks for the info.

Get ZJ upcountry front shocks. They bolt right in and are exactly 3" longer. Atleast this is for the Monroe SensaTracs. Front ZJ UpCountry Sensatrac shock part #37193, 13.375" compressed and 24.250" extended. Front XJ stock Sensatrac shock part #37083, 13.250" compressed and 21.125" extended. I have used YJ front Monroe Sensatracs (#37120, 14.5" C/24.375" E), but they have a sleeve in the bottom bushing instead of a barpin, so you have to press the sleeve out and put in a barpin or BPE to get them to work. Too much work for the same extended length of the ZJ shock, and you lose 1" compressed length using the YJ instead of the ZJ UC shock.

I dont know about the Autozone's near you, but most of the time there is atleast one employee that knows how to look things up in a catalog. I know at my store we have gabriel books laying around that have part numbers broken down by lengths (compressed/extended) and by attaching points (bar pins/post style). Get an idea of what the lengths are that you need and see if they will help you out. That goes for all three of the usually in stock gabriel shocks.
Just an fyi... I set a guy with a lifted TJ up with the cheapest set of shocks. $13.99 a piece, in stock, with a lifetime warrenty. They are gas charged and work great according to him. Have been for about 6 months now. I think they range from $13.99 to $23.99 or something like that. Good luck!

Justin

Just FYI...I bought a pair of the Monroe 37193's to give me more downward suspension travel (I'm running a very mild BB--the Teraflex spacer/shackle, by the way, I need another stock leaf now...I'm sitting with inverted leaves, even on level ground) and when I pulled the stock shock off and laid it next to the 37193, I was bummed to see it is actually the same length. Everybody's site on the net (napa, monroe, rocklizardfabrication, etc) lists the 37193 as 24.250" extended length, from the center of the loop fitting (approximately, the bar pin) to the stem shoulder at the top. Well the Monroes that Napa sent home with me are extended length of about 21 to 21 1/4". I'm perplexed. The box says part #37193 and 37193 stamped in the steel barrel of the shock. Maybe they mis-stamped these????
Manufacturing date was Oct 2005. I tried to call Monroe's technical Service # and nobody's home on Sat. Hopefully more info on monday when they open.....

Back