• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube notcher??

FernXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Who makes a tube notcher that based like a stamp? Where the tube is fishmouthed one side at a time. I've seen them before at the metal supermarket. The cutting die is interchangeable and is shaped like a concave disc on its cutting side. It acts like a shear.
TIA, Rensing

I know *exactly* what your talking about. I was the handrail bitch at a fab shop where I welded. We had one that just did 1 1/4" pipe, you could shear the cope and another however you wanted, 3 way ties were a pinch. Damn thing had like a 10 foot lever on it!

Its the best notcher you can get, if you can get one. To answer your question: I dont know where you can get one. All Ive seen on the net is hold saw style notchers.

Post back a link if you find one!

Good luck,
Andrew

Mittler Brothers Machine and Tool
heavy duty model.

Hyd%20Tube%20Notcher%20HD.jpg

regular model

Hyd%20Tube%20Notcher%20STD.jpg

get the lube ready for when you see the price!!! $95 - $140 per die set, you may just reconsider the good ol' holesaw

Last edited:
yeah well I have used the same harbor frieght bolt down 39.99$ notcher with a quality hole saw for the last 3 complete cages and I would say that is equal to about 40-50 notches total with the waste and redo issue with one even. I did burn out the cheapy 3/8" drill I was using and upgraded drills to prevent that from ever happening. Total for the 1/2" drill, notcher and the hole saw, about 110$. Average cut time per notch about 1 min. Best part is the nice perfect notches that this method does. Just chamfer the edge after the notch and you have a Very nice and easy welding groove with no abnormal gaps.

Just my .02

Captain Ron said:
It's even sexier in person. :D

shp8.jpg

shp9.jpg

--ron

are you for real?

i may take an "internship" for summer down south eh?

daaaaaaamn

abrogate said:
Capt ron, whats the max angle that can handle?

Tangent of the cutter length / tube OD, for single cut operation.

In other words, the vise angle is 0 to 90. But the achievable angle is constrained by tube OD and the cutter length. I've run into this before even with large bed CNC equipment. The bigger the tube OD, generally, the less intersect angle you'll be able to put into it without manual cutting.

More technical info to follow shortly in the "Ramp Up" thread.

XJ_ranger said:
are you for real?

i may take an "internship" for summer down south eh?

daaaaaaamn
You may feel differently after 40,000 cuts and a few cans of Alpo. :D

--ron

Try 14° 25' 41S 146° 15' 25W for a real off road destination.

The French Polynesian Islands?

Last edited:
XJ_ranger said:
looks like you would just colapse tube all day long... no?
From what it looks like it does one side at a time. I've used an ironworker with a tube/pipe notching attachment that looked similar to that.

I can't find a way to easily describe how it works, so I drew a picture.
notch.GIF

It notches one side at a time. Don't think you can do anything other than 90*, I know on the one I've used with the ironworker that's all it will do.

Back