• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing '95 Cherokee Country

ravenfuelnewz

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a '95 Cherokee Country, and I believe it has Command Trac. Can anyone tell me if it is ok to tow this home using a tow dolly without dropping the driveshaft? Can it be done with just putting the transfer case in neutral? Is Command Trac a part time system? Any help will be appreciated.

ravenfuelnewz said:
I just bought a '95 Cherokee Country, and I believe it has Command Trac. Can anyone tell me if it is ok to tow this home using a tow dolly without dropping the driveshaft? Can it be done with just putting the transfer case in neutral? Is Command Trac a part time system? Any help will be appreciated.
That's why you have neutral.

Are you saying I can go ahead and not drop the driveshaft? It has automatic trans, if that makes a difference. I keep hearing different suggestions on what can and can't do.

I have flat towed a 94 without any trouble....but not too sure if its okay on a dolly. I wouldn't try it until you get several positive answers.

You could also check by lifting the Jeep in the air with the Tcase in nuetral, then turn the rear driveshaft....does the front driveshaft move? If it doesn't move, then it should be okay to tow that way.

With an NP231, you have to drop the driveshaft. Neutral in the tcase disco's the tranny but connects the front and rear driveshafts together. I pull routinely with a tow dolly and you have to disco either the front or the back shaft.

old_man said:
With an NP231, you have to drop the driveshaft. Neutral in the tcase disco's the tranny but connects the front and rear driveshafts together. I pull routinely with a tow dolly and you have to disco either the front or the back shaft.

Okay, you probably know more about this than I do, but if thats true then why does the owners manual for my '95 say that all you have to do is put it in park and the transfer case in neutral? I too have a '95 Country with the 4.0l/AW4/231. Not that the Country edition makes any difference.

Well I guess I do know a bit more :laugh3: sorry, I couldn't resist.

What the owners manual is referring to is flat towing with all four tires on the ground. In that situation it does not matter that the front and rear axle are tied together.

If you imobilize one set of tires on the tow dolly and then try to turn the other set, you have a problem.

I appologize, I thought he was wanting to flat tow it. I missed that part of the thread. Thanks for clarifying things. :D

Are you 100 percent positive you have the 231? I have a country and have yet to see one with a 231. I am pretty sure they all came with 242s because they are suppossed ot be the top of the line editions. But then again I could be wrong. :laugh3:

A lot of Country editions have the 231, including mine. I even see a lot of 2wd Countrys around here. Mine doesn't have leather or the overhead console. It even came with a really crappy OEM tape deck. There were were still a lot of options available for the Country editions.

Thank you all very much for the insight. We went to get the Country yesterday, disconnected the rear drive shaft, towed it no problem. Only thing noticed was the rear end was a little warm. Hope that's normal. this is my first 4x4 so you more than likely will be hearing from me in the future. Thanks again all of you, I really appreciate the insight.

Back