• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silly Paranoid Question about T-Case Noise

rumblebelly

NAXJA Forum User
Is it normal to have a little bit of noise coming from the T-case when cruising down the road? It's a 00 Classic with the NP231. Reason why I'm asking is because on my old 88 XJ I couldn't hear it, even when I shifted it in and out of 4 high. It could be because my old rig was a manual and it drowned out any noise from the t-case.

This noise is most noticable at lower speeds and sounds like minor chain or gear noise. Can't hear it during acceleration or higher speads. No noticable difference in 4 high but it's louder when you are in the process of shifting it.

Yeah, the fluid is fine and is only about 10K miles old.

It does have a small leak. When I bought it, the guy that serviced it put more than enough fluid in there. Perhaps now that the fluid is at the bottom of the fill plug, it's gotten a little louder. I noticed the noise only a few months ago.

Maybe I'll just add a little fluid this weekend and see what happens. Sounds like it's okay to have a little noise, that's good.

Just curious how you know the noise is coming from the transfer case?

Mine does the same thing.

I've had the fluid in both differentials replaced. I'll probably get the T-case done soon, but for some reason, I'm not worried about the sound at all.

Back