• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hutchision Bead locks

If you want DOT approved bead locks then yes. Problem is most beadlocks are not DOT approved, Unless they are really expensive.

Patrick

cj7xjmj said:
If you want DOT approved bead locks then yes. Problem is most beadlocks are not DOT approved, Unless they are really expensive.

Patrick

Why do you care about DOT approval?

some people fear the man more than others. :)

if you get stopped, tell the cop theyre fake. :kissyou:

Well, since most BL's are made from DOT approved wheels, they are all stamped "DOT APPROVED".

So in practice (for inspections and the like), your BL's ARE DOT approved.

The problem is cops around here see some many guys running bl's on the road that they will ticket you if your mock locks look to real then you have to go to court to prove otherwise. I guess I will just buy good old beater rims till I can afford those

Its funny how a mod intended to increase the safety of a vehicle (ie the bead not popping out) negates its approval rating.

I know why, its just funny to me

ONX said:
The problem is cops around here see some many guys running bl's on the road that they will ticket you if your mock locks look to real then you have to go to court to prove otherwise. I guess I will just buy good old beater rims till I can afford those

If cops will ticket you for having fake beadlocks and you have to prove otherwise in courte, how will having DOT approved beadlocks be of any help? If i have beadlocks that say DOT approved on the wheel, find me a SINGLE law that says they are ILLEGAL..

You can go to court and have a ticket for having a $190 beadlock thrown out, or you can go to court and have a ticket for a $400 beadlock thrown out. Whats the difference?

Staun makes an internal beadlock you can use with your current rims.

I do not believe they are $400 each either.

ONX said:
cause most of the cops round here know these bead locks and have been told to not ticket people with them
:laugh2:

Yea, I'm picturing the begining of Hill Street Blues.

The sargent passes around a few pictures, saying, "OK, be on the lookout for this serial rapist, these three murderers, these two guys who have been holding up liquor stores, and, most importantly, DON'T TICKET ANYONE WITH THESE WHEELS!!"
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Dirk Pitt said:
Staun makes an internal beadlock you can use with your current rims.

I do not believe they are $400 each either.
I just got quoted $170 ea. I am thinking about it....

ONX said:
Has anyone had any expierience with these? I know that they are Dot aproved but at 400 bucks a whack are they worth it?

My Champion beadlocks have a DOT stamp on them.

ONX said:
Has anyone had any expierience with these? I know that they are Dot aproved but at 400 bucks a whack are they worth it?
My buddy is running a set on his TJ and has had no problems with them. They are pimpin.
hutch7.jpg

rockgarden1.jpg

noresttill said:
Its funny how a mod intended to increase the safety of a vehicle (ie the bead not popping out) negates its approval rating.

I know why, its just funny to me

something about loosing a 3/8" steel plate as it comes flying off the vehicle because someone didnt keep track of the tightness of their nuts makes me think that it could cause problems...

that ring of steel rolling into another car at highway speeds combined with the complete loss of control once the tire looses the bead could be part of the reason they arent aproved...

maybe...

but what do i know...

the fact that every auto manufacturer has to have a "warning tire pressure low" light on the dash board (by some year... not sure - Mini already has this) and approprate sensors would suguest that someone didnt even pay attention to the amount of air in the tire, and would lead me to believe that checking all 32 nuts and bolts per wheel x5 wouldnt be on the top of everyone's list...

if the bolts get loos the tire will just loose air like it had a hole in it. I have only had one ring that actually ever needed to be tightend and when checking they are all fine. the one that needed it just dropped a bit off air.

the Hutchinsons are cool (far from new though) when I replace these I will probably go with stazworks so I can pick my size and backspacing

XJ_ranger said:
but what do i know...
Have you used a beadlock like this? I've got them on my Jeep, I drive it everyday and have never had a problem. Twice this year I had to tighten a few bolts because I dented the outer ring enough to relieve the tension it had on the tire. There will still over 30 bolts tightened to spec. They're only tightened to around 15 ft/lbs to begin with, what's your idea of tight?

Like was pointed out, if your beadlocks are that loose then there's not going to be any air in your tire.

What kind of circumstances do you imagine it takes to shear all 32 (or in my case 36) bolts simultaneously? I honestly can't think of one.

Back