• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should i buy 00 XJ?

kshbaja

NAXJA Forum User
im new here! ive searched the archives for as much as i could find on the strengths/weakness of different models/years. i have an opportunity to pick up a meticulously maintained 2000 XJ for 4k. it has 100k miles and is in pristine shape. i know the seller and know that all scheduled maintenance has been completed. my only concern is that he had to have the front differential rebuilt at 97k. ever since he had the differential rebuilt, he says that occasionally the dash light won't come on when going into 4WD. he does very little offroad, but did do some towing with it. maybe towed 2k lbs for 5k miles. recently, after having his oil changed, he was told his AT fluid was really messy, even though it had been flushed 5k miles prior. i certainly don't trust those lube places, but it freaked him out. i plan on using it mostly for driving in the snow and on forest service roads...mild 4x4 use and it won't be a daily driver, maybe 3-5k miles per year. i was hoping for some insight on what problems i may be getting myself into with this. BTW its the 4.0L I6 with AT. many thanks and looking forward to working on these rigs!

The statement you make about the trans fluid..... has he ever had the filter changed? tranny flushes are not all they're made out to be.

I own a 2k XJ and don't mind it. Still sad that I totalled my '99 though. The 2k's do have a head problem.... they seem to crack. Not that big of a deal though as long as you catch it in time. Mine has 102k and no probs. The exaust manifold has been updated with CAT converters on it. Not good for me but shouldn't bother you. The front axle on the 2k's and 2k1's are a weaker low pinion. this is not a concern for what you want the vehicle for though.
for 4k you're gettin a steal.

kshbaja said:
is a rebuilt front diff at 100k odd for these rigs?
just had front and rear rebuilt on my '97 at 125,000 (bearings and seals only)- from what i've heard, anywhere from 100k-200k depending on the quality of the maintnance and the type of use is a good life span for a diffdit.

edit: search on here for cracked block/head and 2000, you will find the casting numbers that are to be avoided.

In the FWIW department, you talked about this Jeep being meticulously maintained and then listed all these problems that this Jeep has and has had. If the price is too good to be true, maybe it is. Transmission problems can turn into $3,000 repairs. If you really want this Jeep I'd take it to a mechnic you trust and have him address your concerns about the Jeep and in particular the tranny before laying down any real cash. Maybe there's nothing wrong with the tranny and he'll verify what you want to hear. On the other hand, there are plenty of "For Sale" Jeeps around with that kind of mileage that have run without any major problems like the ones you describe. Good Luck and welcome to J.U.

Last edited:
Sounds like a steal, even if there are tranny problems. Most 2000 XJ are going for 9 to 11K around here. Even if you have to dump 3k into the thing, you are still probably coming out ahead.

My 00 Classic needed balljoints at 80k, swaybar bushings were bad too but that's an easy fix. A couple of other annoying but benign things such as a very small T-case leak, rattling t-case linkage, speaker wiring broken on both front doors.

I had a shop tell me my tranny fluid was dirty and it was causing a thump. I have yet to hear this thump and I had the tranny fluid recently flushed. Some shops either have their heads up their butts or are just trying to scrape up more business.

Don't buy it! He's ripping you off!
Give me the guys number and address and make sure to get rid of it for him. :D

I agree with the others here.... $4k for a 2000 is a steal! I paid around book value to buy-out my lease 18 months ago... at 55k miles... for $8800. Mine is also a cheap Sport model, 2-door.

Same time, double mileage, less than half the cost. These rigs seem to care more about maintenance and time than mileage, by the way!

As of 66k, I've had the following problems:
- TC leaked when new. Dealer replaced seals.
- Front diff leaked after dealer did 30k maint. Overfilled. Sucked a bit of fluid
out, and it's been fine since. (NEVER trust a dealer!)
- rust around the top corners of the windshield/drip gutters.
- my drivers seat had one of the mounting bolts tear thru the frame.
Probably not common... and more-related to my 30-lb self, than to the
design of the Jeep!

That's IT thus far. Everything else is fine. Leaks no fluids, still has original battery, exhaust, etc... would have original brakes, but the rotors rusted, and had to be replaced.

Den

dirt714 said:
... The front axle on the 2k's and 2k1's are a weaker low pinion ...

My 2000 has the same RS D30 front as I've seen under every Chryco Jeep I've owned ... no low pinions here.

So far my issues with my '00 -
- Valve Cover leak ... minor 10 min fix
- Oil filter adapter leak - agin an easy fix, cheaper than the VC
- sticking passenger front caliper - it sat for a fair bit prior to purchase so it's not unexpected ... again simple to fix.
and that's it.
Prev owner has only had to replace the front driver door window motor and kept regular maint and receipts for everything (always a nice touch).

Last edited:
i was figuring even if i put $2k into it, then i would still be ahead. im hoping his concern about the AT fluid is just something like a filter not being changed, which i believe was the case. anyways, ill buy it this wknd. thanks everyone for the feedback. im sure ill be back when i start working on it.

Devilfrog said:
My 2000 has the same RS D30 front as I've seen under every Chryco Jeep I've owned ... no low pinions here.

If that's true it was probably built late in '99 and labled a 2k. You can check on the inside of the driver door by the VIN info to check the build date or.... you can climb under it and look at the exaust manifold. If you don't have CAT's on the manifold it's a '99.

cmotsvt said:
$4,000 for a 5 year old 4x4? You have to ask whether or not to buy it?
x2. That is a great price if there are no major problems. Let your mecanic take a look, then Grab it!

Back