• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 gears with 33's highway speeds?

How much lift and accessories do you have?
When I installed 4.56's with 33's, it basically put it right back at stock settings. I don't remember the exact rpms, but it is possible to go 75+. I don't suggest it though, you lose a lot of mpg. I'm sitting at about 18 when I go around 65, and it drops to 14 when I go 75.
But the return of some power is really nice!

Depends if i'm mad at my jeep or not, but ya my top speed is about at 60 to 70 confortably. I'm not realy sure exactly cause my spedo is so off at high speeds, but I can get it to go 85 if I wanted.

I've got 4.56 with 32's, and a 5 spd to boot. At 65 mph, I'm pulling about 2650 rpms and I cruise along just fine. Even a higher speeds, no problems.

Your 33's with an auto will be just fine with 4.56's...

jeeperjack said:
Depends if i'm mad at my jeep or not, but ya my top speed is about at 60 to 70 confortably. I'm not realy sure exactly cause my spedo is so off at high speeds, but I can get it to go 85 if I wanted.

Comfortably was the key word in my reply. I can get up past 70 too, but it's at 3500 to get there, and 3200 to stay there...............:puke:

Go with at least 4.56's, if not 4.88's. I know there were times back when I was running 33's that I wished I'd gone with 4.88's for more power on the highway.

yeah mine would be pretty loud past 65, annoying actually between 2200 and 3000. i am thinking 4.10s for myself with 33s. i like to cruise at 70-75 so 3000 rpms would get pretty old quick.

good luck maintaining any cruising speed with under 2500rpm. I think I'm turning about 2750 at 70-75mph, which seems to work pretty well.

PapaPump said:
yeah mine would be pretty loud past 65, annoying actually between 2200 and 3000. i am thinking 4.10s for myself with 33s. i like to cruise at 70-75 so 3000 rpms would get pretty old quick.

Go with what Jason said, at least 4.56s. You're not gonna be happy with 4.10s and 33s. Especially for cruising down the highway.

At 70 MPH on GPS, running 4.56 and 32's, I ran in the 2600-2700 RPM range. I went to Moab and back and it was just fine. Running 33's would drop the RPMs a bit more.
If you want to drive 90 on the highway use a car not a lifted Jeep.

Greg

4.56s and 33s are perfect. @70mph the RPMs are about 2250 has pleanty of power and good economy. The 1070mile trip to Moab this last spring I got 18+mpg even with running mostly 80-85mph and loaded down to over 5k. The speedo reads just about 5-7% over actual speed. I used to run 4.10s and was not happy with the power and even the economy was lower.

Ok i got kinda confused when 91 Jeep Project asked if your top speed was about sixty right now. And then you agreed that it was about 60 or 70. But from what I can gather you still have stock gears and are wanting to go lower right. If you had stock gears with 33's then how would the top speed be 60, the gears would lower the rpm wich would mean you could go faster not slower. When i had 3.55 gears with 32" tires i would cruise at 80 and the engine would be at about 2300 rpm. 60 was like 18 or 1900 so if that was top speed then that is barely even turning the engine. Please straighten me out if I am missing somthing. Oh by the way in my opinion 4.56 would be fine for 33's cause I have that with 32's and I could stand the rpms bein a little lower.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
Ok i got kinda confused when 91 Jeep Project asked if your top speed was about sixty right now. And then you agreed that it was about 60 or 70. But from what I can gather you still have stock gears and are wanting to go lower right. If you had stock gears with 33's then how would the top speed be 60, the gears would lower the rpm wich would mean you could go faster not slower. When i had 3.55 gears with 32" tires i would cruise at 80 and the engine would be at about 2300 rpm. 60 was like 18 or 1900 so if that was top speed then that is barely even turning the engine. Please straighten me out if I am missing somthing. Oh by the way in my opinion 4.56 would be fine for 33's cause I have that with 32's and I could stand the rpms bein a little lower.

Those figures don't sound right at all. With 33s and 3.55s you should be cruising doing 60-65 at about 2500. Anything faster makes the RPMs scream.

No that is the opposite. And it was 32's, 33's would make the rpm even lower. According to that gear calculator that is linked on the 1st page it would be lower by about 100 rpm. So what I am saying is that I think 3.55 gears with 33's would be around 2200 rpm (with and automatic).

Back