• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater problems

j_prime

NAXJA Forum User
The heater in my 98 xj just quit on me the other day. It doesn't work on any of the fan speeds or different modes. If it worked on the highest fan speed, then it would be the resistor, but it doesn't. I replaced the relay and that didnt do anything either.
I did however manage to "bypass" the relay temporarily and got things to work properly.
relay.jpg

Quoted from my local board:
If you bypassed the relay and the fan runs, then it's the relay control circuit, obviously! Now you need a wiring schematic to see what supplies power to the relay, and where it gets its ground from. Check for power at the 2 other smaller wires, if one is hot, then check for a ground at the other. If no ground, you need the schematic to see where it goes. Same thing if no power to control side of relay. I don't have a wiring diagram handy, so can't help much more then that!

So my question is once i've identified which wires are which, where do i go from there?? I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to electrical stuff:dunno:. Wiring schematic available here

Back