• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to weld a roll cage

loneranger4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I am just wondering how most people install a roll cage in a jeep cherokee.
I am able to fabricate and weld the roll cage, I was just trying to figure out if you have to weld it in the jeep or can I fabricate it out of the jeep then put it in after it is welded.
I have seen alot of post on here about cages, but none to tell me this.
it seems like you would not be able to get all the way around with the weld due to the body being in the way. and it doesn't look like the cage will come out once it is welded together.
sorry to sound ignorant, but I am planning on putting a cage in soon and I want to get my ducks in a row before I start.

you should be able to fully weld sections together outside the jeep and then weld the sections together inside

One way to do it...
picture.JPG

It's all based on your design. There is no easy solution to this very big issue when designing and building a cage. Some of the welds will have to be done on the cage while it's inside the vehicle, and protection for the interior and the ability to weld all around have to be handled. Without a prefab cage that you just weld up, that comes with directions, you have to do quite a bit of design thinking and fitting. I believe T & J Performance sells a prefab XJ cage.

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I will have to weld it in place, after careful design and planning.

Jes, how did you connect the legs to the floor?
did you butt weld extensions the rest of the way down?

i found the easy solution that allows you to fully weld everything on the cage then just lift it into the xj...

there is one catch, you have to cut the top off

loneranger4x4 said:
Thanks for the replies, it looks like I will have to weld it in place, after careful design and planning.

The cage goes through the floor and ties into wedges that attach to a sub frame and box rockers.

Grant said:
Are those special URF welding blankets?

Or do you crazy Californians just like to live dangerously?

They're special in that they're highly flammable.
Good thing there's always plenty of fabrication lubrication around to put out any resulting fire. ;)

^^^^^
What a waste of good lube though

>Insert gratuitous sexual inuendo here<

Jes said:
They're special in that they're highly flammable.
Helps in preheating the tubes for better weld penetration.

Goatman said:
I believe T & J Performance sells a prefab XJ cage.

The trianglation is a little questionable and the price is a little high at $450-500 plus freight.

Making one at home is a lot cheaper but, as Goat said, would require a lot of design and thought.

loneranger4x4 said:

You can't see it from the picture but the tubes are full length, they're just dropped down through holes in the floor.
I found it easiest to weld it as best as possible with eveything in place. Then pull the cage back a few inches.
Drill 2" holes in the floor with a hole saw right where the cage will sit.
Drop the cage into these holes and finish the welding.
Push the cage up and back again and weld the frame connecting brackets in place (under the holes).
Put the cage back in place and weld the legs to the frame connectors.

kid4lyf said:
You can't see it from the picture but the tubes are full length, they're just dropped down through holes in the floor.
I found it easiest to weld it as best as possible with eveything in place. Then pull the cage back a few inches.
Drill 2" holes in the floor with a hole saw right where the cage will sit.
Drop the cage into these holes and finish the welding.
Push the cage up and back again and weld the frame connecting brackets in place (under the holes).
Put the cage back in place and weld the legs to the frame connectors.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Built this cage a few weeks ago for a friend.

All the welding was done inside the jeep, using thin sheetmetal as protection. It does not go through the floor, but ties into plates (for now).

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I was able to weld at least 3/4 of the way around on every tube intersection. Only ended up with a couple splatters on the headliner.

Rick

Back