• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dakota/Durango rear leafs question: Please give definitive answers!

Nixt

NAXJA Forum User
OK, searching the forums got me some results, but not any clear answers.

I would like to get 4.5 to 5 inches of lift in my rear end. The 3.5" add-a-leafs I used originally are shot, and the ride always sucked anyways.
I have heard repeatedly that you can use Dakota AND/OR Durango springs from the scrapyard to do this.

Two requests:

1) Which spring packs from which models and years are suitable for this?

2) I'm new to suspension work, so I need a description of how to build the new XJ packs from the Dodge ones.

(My XJ is a '96, with 4" coil spring lift w/ longer lower control arms in the front, 3.5"AAL and 1.25" blocks in the rear.)

++Please only post what you know through direct experience or direct observation, not just what you've "heard".++

From my direct experience, I can tell you that building leaf springs is not an exact science, and is a trial and error deal. This is especially true since you're talking about using used springs. You can make a good working spring pack out of used leaves from a variety of vehicles......springs are springs, it doesn't make much difference what they come out of. While you're searching around for Dakota leaf info, do a general search on leaf springs and you should get some additional helpful information.

Sorry I couldn't give you more of an exact answer. :)

OK, when I got my dakota leaves i pulled them out of a 94' model, it looked like this

94dakota.jpg

Basically as long as its 2.5" wide and spring under, it is going to work.

1.To build the pack what i did was to take apart both leaf packs, (your xj pack and the dakota pack) (you will be using only the xj main leaf out of the xj pack)

2.cut OFF the eyes of the main dakota leaf (cut them so they are just a little shorter than your xj main leaf you will be re using.)

3. clean the leaves you will be using and paint them with a high quality paint (and some graphite paint available from grainger of Tractor supply Co., if you want--this will smooth out the ride and allow for a little better flex)

4. After paint drys put together your pack (xj main leaf and the whole dakota pack) Youll need to get new center pins, and some new spring clamps. If you go to a spring shop these are cheap. The clamps that have to be riveted to the pack (roller type) work better, but if you cant find those the regular box type will do just fine. You will reuse the pads that go between the springs. (The pads off the dakota pack)

5. Put them on your XJ, I got about 5-5.5 in of lift with my XJ main leaf, the whole dakota pack and a RE shackle.

6. Basically its like anything just take your time and if you have a question or are unsure of something dont go on-- find someone who knows so you can be sure.

xjbmx said:
OK, when I got my dakota leaves i pulled them out of a 94' model, it looked like this

94dakota.jpg

Basically as long as its 2.5" wide and spring under, it is going to work.

1.To build the pack what i did was to take apart both leaf packs, (your xj pack and the dakota pack) (you will be using only the xj main leaf out of the xj pack)

2.cut OFF the eyes of the main dakota leaf (cut them so they are just a little shorter than your xj main leaf you will be re using.)

3. clean the leaves you will be using and paint them with a high quality paint (and some graphite paint available from grainger of Tractor supply Co., if you want--this will smooth out the ride and allow for a little better flex)

4. After paint drys put together your pack (xj main leaf and the whole dakota pack) Youll need to get new center pins, and some new spring clamps. If you go to a spring shop these are cheap. The clamps that have to be riveted to the pack (roller type) work better, but if you cant find those the regular box type will do just fine. You will reuse the pads that go between the springs. (The pads off the dakota pack)

5. Put them on your XJ, I got about 5-5.5 in of lift with my XJ main leaf, the whole dakota pack and a RE shackle.

6. Basically its like anything just take your time and if you have a question or are unsure of something dont go on-- find someone who knows so you can be sure.

do you have any pictures/ flex pictures?

rangerjoe2001 said:
do you have any pictures/ flex pictures?
no pictures of the buildup, i do have a couple flex pictures though. This really isnt a fair interpretation of how well they flex because my shocks are too short to allow full travel.

sellpic7.jpg

DSC00534.jpg

i was told not to use extended shackles with mix n' match leaf packs. i know they wore out my stock ones pretty quick, will it do the same to these?

my options are stock shackles, mj shackles, 1.5" rro shackles.

ktm racer 419 said:
i was told not to use extended shackles with mix n' match leaf packs. i know they wore out my stock ones pretty quick, will it do the same to these?

my options are stock shackles, mj shackles, 1.5" rro shackles.

actualy to get decent flex out of leaves you need longer than stock XJ shackles...

YMMV...

ranger is right, you need the extra travel the shackle will provide, due to the extra arch of the spring, if you catch my drift

good thread here
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=suspension+tuning

im currently working on lowering my current lift.. im gonna use 2 stock xj packs and cut/ match the leaves to see where it will get me, i wanna end up with around 4-5" in the rear.. especially since my RE leaves are crapping out

and that lift is with a 1.25 rear lift shackle

Last edited:
96CheroKeeClassik said:
anyone know the center pin hole diameter on the dakota leaves off hand?

Dakotas run 3/8 center pin... XJ uses 5/16 center pin....

When I put the 5/16 pin in the 3/8 hole it looked tiny....

Back