• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 doubler?

So you'd get twice the planetary slop, and lose more than half your strength. Hmmm.....that doesn't sound appealing at all.

Check the input torque rating of a 231J and then calculate the input torque on the second case in a doubled 231 setup.

Ludakris said:
but i read it on the internet, its gotta work...

I saw an earlier post about a 207 doubler...

Just looking for some options for an extra low...

Try a tera 4low

I like the I read it on the internet line very funny and true at the same time.

Here's your best option:

atlasv3.jpg

CRASH said:
Here's your best option:

atlasv3.jpg

d300?

or a d300 behind the doubler?

ROCKREADYXJ said:
Try a tera 4low

Depending on his engineand tranny combo, that may be OK.

With a stick, they have mad slop that get's very annoying on the trail.

Also, Tera advised me to NOT run their unit behind a stroker and an NV4500. Too much input torque.

Is this a better pic?:

butjca.jpg

CRASH said:
So you'd get twice the planetary slop, and lose more than half your strength. Hmmm.....that doesn't sound appealing at all.

Check the input torque rating of a 231J and then calculate the input torque on the second case in a doubled 231 setup.

The mad rooster uses a gear driven D300 as the second case.

You are only using the planetary portion of the 231.

Yes, you get a little extra backlash in a planetary setup, but that planetary carrier is more than strong enough in a XJ power type situation.

Dirk Pitt said:
The mad rooster uses a gear driven D300 as the second case.

You are only using the planetary portion of the 231.

Yes, you get a little extra backlash in a planetary setup, but that planetary carrier is more than strong enough in a XJ power type situation.

So you buy the mad rooster kit for $595, then add a flip kit for the D-300 ($550), a clocking ring for the 300 ($125), then a rebuilt 300, and cut up your own 231?

Uh, the Atlas is a no brainer.

CRASH said:
So you buy the mad rooster kit for $595, then add a flip kit for the D-300 ($550), a clocking ring for the 300 ($125), then a rebuilt 300, and cut up your own 231?

:rolleyes:

Uh, you ever hear of a home made flip kit? =$0. I can get D300s for free and why rebuild it?
This setup would work awsome with my square driveshafts. ;)

CRASH said:

I'm not saying the Atlas isn't a better option. Given the choice, I would choose the Atlas too.

However, for some who don't run rocks only, to have more gearing options would be nice.

Jes said:
:rolleyes:

Uh, you ever hear of a home made flip kit? =$0. I can get D300s for free and why rebuild it?
This setup would work awsome with my square driveshafts. ;)

Once again, your superior logic has trumped my feeble attempt at rational thought.

Now that i think about it some more, you could just get a passenger drop 10 bolt from a Cheby, unflip the D-300, and forget the clocking ring.

Add a set of front leaf springs and square shafts to that formula, and you have the perfect XJ driveline/suspension combo......

CRASH said:
Depending on his engineand tranny combo, that may be OK.

With a stick, they have mad slop that get's very annoying on the trail.

Also, Tera advised me to NOT run their unit behind a stroker and an NV4500. Too much input torque.

Mad slop? maybe you had one with a stretched chain. I have installed a few of them never with any of the complaints you describe.

As far as the NV4500 where did you get that from?

this a quote right from tera's site:

Note: Because these low-range gear sets increase torque by up to 50 percent, some large or high-performance engines may contribute to premature drive train failure.

You can also apply that to the lower gears in your axles too.

ROCKREADYXJ said:
Mad slop? maybe you had one with a stretched chain. I have installed a few of them never with any of the complaints you describe.

As far as the NV4500 where did you get that from?

this a quote right from tera's site:

Note: Because these low-range gear sets increase torque by up to 50 percent, some large or high-performance engines may contribute to premature drive train failure.

You can also apply that to the lower gears in your axles too.

I called Tera and spoke to their tech department. My input torque to the Tera unit is 1890 ft lbs. They said that would result in planetary failure.

How many installs have you done in a manual trans vehicle? Any driveline slop in manual trans vehicle is extremely annoying and frankly detrimental to offroad performance. The lower the gearing in front of the sloppy point, the worse it feels, making the ride very herky-jerky. With my deep ratio trans, and a Detroit in the back, it felt like I had half a tires worth of rotational play out of my STOCk geared 231. Getting rid of the Detroit got rid of about half the slop, but the transfer case planetary/chain slop was still there. I wouldn't run a T-case with a stretched chain. A reduced 4-1 makes the situation worse, as you are adding reduction in front of the slop.

Do these customers run in rocks?

Perhaps its more of a problem for me because of the 6.3 to 1 first gear.

Or maybe I'm just very picky.

Driveline slop really sucks.

Back