• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking about a different front locker...

Jeffro600

NAXJA Forum User
The Lock-Right that i currently have in my D30 is starting to turn into a headache. Its unpredictable...i dont like the way lunchbox lockers work with the pins/springs and they seem that their more trouble than their worth. Ive replaced the pins/springs twice, the carrier shaft once and it still acts funky sometimes. Might just be my bad luck, but i want the thing out of my front axle before it leaves me stranded or worse. Everyone ive talked to says ditch it for a selectable. An ARB would be nice, but i dont really want to bother with the compressor, air lines and all that crap. IVe been looking at the OX lockers but havent really found much info on them...at least, not much in the way of people running them in their XJ's. Their appealing cuz they look stupid simple, are a little cheaper than the ARB and from reports ive read are one of the more durable selectables out there. Id like to go with the Eaton electric, but they dont make one for the D30 and im not planning on running tires bigger than 33's, so i have no ambitions of doing an axle swap anytime soon. Is anyone running one(OX)? Happy with it? Any issues with it being cable activated?

The Ox's are a PITA. you have to dis-assemble half the unit just to mount the ring gear. then you have to get the cable adjusted just right. and I personally am not to keen on the design. ARB's are a cake walk compared to the OX as far as installation and repairability. I think too many factors can affect the operation of the OX. if you bend the cable to tight then its harder to lock/unlock. and it just has to many different pcs.
comparing the cost of ARB's to OX's don't forget that you usually have to pay extra for the cable.
If your having consistent problems with your front locker then you might want to inspect it for a bent housing or tube before you invest bank into the axle.
if you've gone through more than 2 lockers on an axle then I would be scheptical that its the locker to blame and I'd be inspecting for a cause.

Well ive been told that a non-disconect axle will batter a automatic locker in no time flat...the housing doesnt seem to be bent and the carrier is still within specs.

I've had a no-slip in the front of my D30 for 4 years now. and I still love it. only reason to take it out is when I build myself a D44. FYI even though the housing apears straight. it will take only a slight bend to screw up the lockers.
Jeffro600 said:
Well ive been told that a non-disconect axle will batter a automatic locker in no time flat...the housing doesnt seem to be bent and the carrier is still within specs.

Jeff - I know you are against the lunch-box type, but you might want to check out an Aussie Locker - I'm still doing some reading on it, but it seems like a good alternative.

-Will

aussie is the same thing as a lockright. they are all the same basic design with only subtle differences. same goes for the quicklok and EZ locker.

xjwillyb said:
Jeff - I know you are against the lunch-box type, but you might want to check out an Aussie Locker - I'm still doing some reading on it, but it seems like a good alternative.

-Will

Im not against it per say...when its working properly, its great...its just getting it to work properly seems like more work than what its worth!

im personally going with the ox b/c of the cost difference.
One no need for a compressor
2 when you buy an ox you get the diff cover so no need to buy a diff cover as well
and the cable that you need for the ox sorta cancels out with the hoses and such that you need to buy with an arb. Plus i can get a ox wayyy cheaper than an arb.

But we'll see how my ox runs after i use it, who knows maybe ill be switching over to arbs lol lol

Matt

Back