• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Help

89BlackXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me exactly what an SYE is and what it does? I mean i know it helps to keep the driveline vibes down by helping to align the sahft but wont a transfercase drop kit do the same thing? Will my 4.5 lift be ok with just the T-Case drop or will i need a SYE as well?

A sye mostly shortens the transfercase and in effect makes your rear driveline longer, thus reducing the vibrations by allowing you to run a double cardian set up (allowing higher angles and also forcing you to rotate your axle up to get the corrrect driveline/axle orientation). Yes, a TC drop will allow for correction of vibes, however, it puts strain on the motor mounts and in higher lifts, it may not be enough to eliminate your vibrations. In some vehicles (not positive in the xj), a TC drop will have a reverse effect on the front driveshaft making it a slightly sharper angle and causing front vibes while eliminating the rear vibes. Also, an SYE does what it stands for (slip yoke eliminator) by eliminating the slip yoke at the rear of the transfercase. As you lift your vehicle, the distance from your TC and your differential becomes greater and it will pull your driveshaft out of the TC. So during full droop situations, it becomes dangerously close to falling out of the TC. An SYE eliminates that scary situation by using another type of driveshaft, one very similar to a front xj driveshaft, in that it it is a telescoping driveshaft with the joint in the middle of the shaft instead of at the end allowing a driveshaft with greater droop possiabilities than a slip yoke type shaft. Hope this helps.

with that lift you could also just run a double joint with the slip yoke as well , but one thing with the sye is that you can run without your rear shaft if you ever break it with the slip yoke you will lose all your fluid causing tc failure

rupert said:
with that lift you could also just run a double joint with the slip yoke as well , but one thing with the sye is that you can run without your rear shaft if you ever break it with the slip yoke you will lose all your fluid causing tc failure
What a minute there slim. This only applies to certain transfer cases. If you're talking about a 207 case, then yes you would lose the fluid if the shaft is removed. If you are runing a 231 then there's no need to worry about fluid loss because the slip yoke is external to the transfer case.

sorry , i never knew some slip yokes were external , on my 88 231 case you do lose fluid thanks for clearing up my mistake

Back