• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whcih ring and pinion company?

No trouble yet with Yukons. I broke a 4340 axle on the D30, but the ring and pinion are fine.

Then again....I've only had them for a year.

Dan Turner said:
I prefer spicer, that's my first choice. Precision gear is second.

X2

i chose Spicer. thats what came OEM and they run for 200K miles with no isues. it's hard to find gears that are made in the USA these days. i believe Precision Gear is though.

believe it or not, while it seams as though there are tons of different brands. There isn't. there is only a handfull of gear mfg's. instead of telling you my favorites, I will tell you the ones that I don't like.
Genuine gear... if you want me to install genuine gears then youll get the 250 foot warranty. Thats about the length of my driveway.
other than that, most of them are about the same.
I have had good luck with all gearsets and I have seen all of them have there failures. The thing thats critical is having an installer that does a good job. a bad installer can screw up a good gearset.
everyone has there own prefference when it comes to gears. You ask why I am such a big believer in Yukon? simple, its the best bang for the buck. Superiors are good but expensive. Spicers are good but not available for some apps.

Rawbrown said:
believe it or not, while it seams as though there are tons of different brands. There isn't. there is only a handfull of gear mfg's. instead of telling you my favorites, I will tell you the ones that I don't like.
Genuine gear... if you want me to install genuine gears then youll get the 250 foot warranty. Thats about the length of my driveway.
other than that, most of them are about the same.
I have had good luck with all gearsets and I have seen all of them have there failures. The thing thats critical is having an installer that does a good job. a bad installer can screw up a good gearset.
everyone has there own prefference when it comes to gears. You ask why I am such a big believer in Yukon? simple, its the best bang for the buck. Superiors are good but expensive. Spicers are good but not available for some apps.

Ditto Ryan. Same experiences at my, uh, "shop". :D

if its a daily driver an noise is a concern I would run the PG or the Spicers. If you are running a mud tire or a noisy tire and can deal with a little noise then the Yukons are the best per dollar.

a little off topic, but has anyone ever cryo'ed a gearset and had sucess with that?

I just put a new set of precision gears in my heep....quiet as a mouse.

Can you get Spicer or Superiror for the 8.25? I have Spicer for the d30, but all I see for the 8.25 is Yukon and , ugh Genuine gear.

Spicer gears are only available for Dana Spicer axles. SUperiors are available for the 8.25.
PG's are good but I don't think they are the best. yes they setup quiet as well as superior, spicer, richmond, us gear, yukon, sierra. in fact I don't have a Favorite brand. Buy what you want. just make sure that its setup correctly.

Please stay away from Genuine. After 3 sets I finally gave up on that nighmare.

They are though moneymakers for 4 wheel parts. They offer a lifetime warrany on the gears but charge $200+ every 6 months when you can't stand the whining/grinding anymore.

Also, my buddy snapped his front dana44 pinion in 2 while going over a very small obstacle. Good times with Genuine gear!

I used to have a little trouble with the yukons, but for quite a while know, they have setup just as easy as spicers stuff. So pretty much with the rest of the gang, as long as it is not genuine, you should be alright. Although, from what I have experienced/seen some axles like the 8.25 are mor particular.
Dustin

Back