• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auxillary lighting switch - need stock toggle

abrogate

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 XJ with the basic trim package. at the bottom of the center section of the dash, there are two switches. one for the rear defrost and one for the rear wiper. there is a third spot, but no switch. i am putting in some rock lights and would like to put the switch for them in that spot, but i would prefer that the swith look stock. what option goes in this spot originally and is there a source online for these switches. i have thought about using another wiper toggle,but would rather have one that was only on off.

i have searched and found many other great ideas for switch placement, all of which i will consider, but couldnt seem to find the stock option.

The third slot is for factory fog lights. Go to any Mopar dealer.

You could use a fog light switch. Thats what I did in my 90 ( I dont know how a 98 is set up). You should make sure that you use some relays and some heavier wire from the relay to the lights, stock wiring is lacking in that department. You will improve even your stock lighting if you rewire.

i wired mine up to the factory switch i just ran all new wires and relays and disconected the 3 wires from the back of my stock switch and ran the fog light wires to it, the only thing i don;t like is that the little yellow indicator light always stays on now, i'm sure there is a way around it but i kinda suck at wiring unless its just cleaning things up and making it look pretty

Just be sure all the factory wiring (or yours) is perfect. I went through two O.E.M. switches (after the original went out) at $22 each before I learned my lesson and just went aftermarket.

i havent had a chance to pull the dash apart today, so i am just asking without any research, but since my XJ didnt come with factory fog lamps, is the wiring already back there although there is no switch?

abrogate said:
i havent had a chance to pull the dash apart today, so i am just asking without any research, but since my XJ didnt come with factory fog lamps, is the wiring already back there although there is no switch?
I don't believe so but, if it is, you won't want to use it for rock lights because of the way it's wired. Factory fog lights have to be wired so they can't be on with the high beams. For rock lights, you want the ability to have them on when you want them on, irrespective of what the headlights are doing.

Just get a factory switch, an aftermarket light relay, and a spool of 12-gauge wire.

abrogate said:
It's iffy. Many, but not all, late-model Jeeps that I've helped do stuff on have had complete wiring harnesses regardless of the installed options. The easiest way to tell might be to climb under the front end and see if the plugs that connect to the O.E.M. fogs are there. If they're there, chances are that the correct switch plug is in the dash somewhere.
EDIT: I guess you'd get under the front instead of "climb."

Timber said:
The easiest way to tell might be to climb under the front end and see if the plugs that connect to the O.E.M. fogs are there.
</p>
EDIT: I guess you'd get under the front instead of "climb."

I suppose that would depend on how much lift he has...

I'm probably gonna put my Hella rocker switch (for my new fogs) in the stock location... just drill the 1/2" hole in the blank position...

Den

You can also check HERE at Jeepsareus. They have factory fog light switches for about $25 and a pleathora of other cool Jeep goodies, possibly including full factory fog light set ups...

Ivan

finally pulled the cover off today to see if it as pre-wired.

switch001.jpg

and it was,

switch002.jpg

thanks for the info

Back