• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gallons Per Hour

jmsull

NAXJA Forum User
At idle, how many gallons (or fraction of one) do you guys think the 4.0L would burn in an hour?

Let's see....at 16mpg, and 75mph...you do the math. I know the answer already, but let's see if you can do the calcs.

Jim

NOT IT testing! But I bet you would burn less than 1 gal/hr. at idle....I'm going to go with a bet of 1/2 gal/hr. So on a full tank, your Jeep would idle for almost 2 straight days...

If i base it off of the gas welder at work id estimte about .3-.4 galons an hour. for high idle .15 for low idle I imagine a engine thats larger but more eficent would be simular

Yucca-Man said:
Let's see....at 16mpg, and 75mph...you do the math. I know the answer already, but let's see if you can do the calcs.

Jim

Thanks douche, I can do the mpg when the car is moving, but I said IDLE, no miles per hour, no miles per gallon, NO MILES WHAT SO EVER, standing still, idling in park.

Thanks for everyone else that answered with out being a smart a$$.

For those who wonder why I ask, I live in Chicago, and usally have ten of fifteen minutes to burn before work, so I sit in the car and read. Now that its colder I'm keeping it running for the heat. So I was just curious what it was costing me.

It shouldn't be too hard to test this. Fill your tank, idle for fifteen minutes, and then fill up again. Multiply the amount of gas you put in by four, and that's about how much you would burn in an hour.

Well the other night I let my 97' 4.0 idle for 2.5 hours, and started at 3/4 tank exactly, ended one bar lower. No Idea how much that is, but I lost one bar in 2.5 hours.

zfinger said:
Well the other night I let my 97' 4.0 idle for 2.5 hours, and started at 3/4 tank exactly, ended one bar lower. No Idea how much that is, but I lost one bar in 2.5 hours.

Wow, i think somethings screwy there...arent cherokees fuel gauges in 1/4 tank increments(to lazy to go check :laugh3: )? You burned a 1/4 tank in 2.5 hours? I dont think i burn a 1/4 tank when wheelin for 4-5 hours!

Idling gets you nowhere, keep in mind you are polutting air as well.

jmsull said:
Thanks douche, I can do the mpg when the car is moving, but I said IDLE, no miles per hour, no miles per gallon, NO MILES WHAT SO EVER, standing still, idling in park.
Well screw you too...

What is it with uptight asses on NAXJA recently? Someone take away their bottle? :rattle:

Jim

jmsull said:
Thanks douche...
GEEZ! A little sensitive, aren't you? If you don't want to ever hear any smart a$$ comments, and only want direct answers to your questions, you need to stop using the internet.

Yucca-Man said:
Well screw you too...

What is it with uptight asses on NAXJA recently? Someone take away their bottle? :rattle:

Jim

If your going to post some smartass comment like "I know the answer already, lets see if you can do the calcs" I think you should expect a response like mine, especially if you didn't even read the post in the first place.

In my experience on this board, people like you, jump at the first chance to say " hey your an idiot, I'm so much smarter than you", well half wit, your the idiot.

How in the world is calculating 16 mpg at 75 mph going to give me the answer to how much gas the car burns at idle in park. I want to see that calculation. You said you already know so lets see it. Is it 4.6875 gallons per hour, seems a little high for standing still.

Maybe you would encounter so many "uptight asses" if you offered constructive help, instead of trying to belittle people. I already know the answer to this, lets see if you can figure it out.

This thread is entertaining, but I dont think its finished yet, so Im gonna keep watching it.
popcorn.gif

jmsull said:
If your going to post some smartass comment like "I know the answer already, lets see if you can do the calcs" I think you should expect a response like mine, especially if you didn't even read the post in the first place.

In my experience on this board, people like you, jump at the first chance to say " hey your an idiot, I'm so much smarter than you", well half wit, your the idiot.

How in the world is calculating 16 mpg at 75 mph going to give me the answer to how much gas the car burns at idle in park. I want to see that calculation. You said you already know so lets see it. Is it 4.6875 gallons per hour, seems a little high for standing still.

Maybe you would encounter so many "uptight asses" if you offered constructive help, instead of trying to belittle people. I already know the answer to this, lets see if you can figure it out.

chill out dude! Maybe he mis-read your orig. post....people do make mistakes you know. And before you go around bashing Jim on "smart ass" comments, you might want to go and do some reading on this site of all the useful information and help he's given alot of people, including me. So if it seems like they're saying " hey your an idiot, I'm so much smarter than you", guess what??, given the circumstances, you are an idiot, and they are much smarter than you are, because they've probably been here longer.

Oh, and if you plan on hangin around this site much longer, you're gonna get picked on. It's like a big brother pickin on a little brother. But it's all in fun (if you choose it to be, how you take it has alot to do with the funness). You'll still never find a better bunch of people to hang with than fellow Jeepers, period!

Last edited:
Back