• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I go ahead and get a 8.8?

Starscream

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I've searched and searched, but this is really an opinion kind of thing. OK, so here's the deal:

I have found a 8.8 w/ disks for $300 from another member here. It is still under dealer warranty and is in great shape, plus has 3.55s, so I could run it now if I wanted to.

I currently have 31x10.50s, but will be going to 33s soon, probly 10.50s as well. My ChryCo 8.25 is in good shape too, so it'd be fine for that. I will regear to either 4.10 or 4.56, most likely 4.10 since I do a good bit of highway driving.

Here's the question(s):

Should I go ahead and get the 8.8 and slowly build it?
Should I stick with the 8.25 and just build it?

8.8 pros:

Disk brakes
Stronger
Great aftermarket options
Can't really go wrong with it

8.25 pros:

I already have it
It's not a bad axle
Did I mention it's free?

I don't want to gear and lock the 8.25 just to have to move to a D44 or 8.8 down the road anyway, but I also have to stop spending so much money on the XJ.

So, what do you think I should do?

Thanks everyone,
David

Either keep the 8.25 with stock gears. Or hold out for a 8.8 with 4.10's so u just have to regear the front. I run 33x12.50 with a D30/D35 with 3.55's on a DD it sucks, but it's not that bad.

Do the 8.8.

I have had great success with it in the rocks with 35s

I bought an 8.8 to replace my locked 29 spline 8.25 running 33s. Plan to swap it in when the 8.25 gave out. After 2 years of beating the 8.25, I sold the 8.8.

if you're only going to go to 33's, i'd guess your current axle will do just fine.

If 33s are the tallest you *plan on* a 8.25 would probably do...

but thats your limit possible 35s. The gear choices end at 4.56s in your 8.25" where as the 8.8 goes up to 5.13s, is stronger and has the discs to hold a broken shaft in place if you do break one.

T&A-XJ said:
If 33s are the tallest you *plan on* a 8.25 would probably do...

but thats your limit possible 35s. The gear choices end at 4.56s in your 8.25" where as the 8.8 goes up to 5.13s, is stronger and has the discs to hold a broken shaft in place if you do break one.

the caliper wont hold a shaft in for any distance

the 8.8 has gears all the way down to 6.14:1

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51911&highlight=8.8+gears

but the front end (the d30) only has gears down to 4.88's

and if you decide to go much larger, you will be torn between upgrading the 30 and upgrading to a 44 or 60 - but will want to keep your initial investment in your 8.8 and will have to deal with bolt pattern differences...

I'm selling my 8.8 from a 98 Exploder for $175 with new calipers, pads, and studs.

Starscream918 said:
Is it complete- gears and all? I'd be interested if so, of course depending on how far away you live.

Yeah I am a ways away in Alabama, it complete disc to disc, open carrier, 3.55s. Plus I ma also throwing in brand new Ford calipers, pads and studs.

ZachMan said:
Yeah I am a ways away in Alabama, it complete disc to disc, open carrier, 3.55s. Plus I ma also throwing in brand new Ford calipers, pads and studs.
That sounds pretty good. What condition is it in? Any rust of damage? Can you see how much it would cost to ship to 29732? I'm PMing you my email if you can send pics please.

It has surface rust and will need new rotors, but the bearings and all are good. I can't ship sorry, I live alone and can't move the dang thing around, plus at $175 its not worth the hassle.

53guy said:
what's the dimensions? width mostly.

58" wms to wms, use wheel spacers and your set.

I am running the 8.8 in my MJ. The only draw bask I have encountered is it does hang low in the rear, even on 35's. I also know 2 ppl who have busted the companion flanges on them, so pick up a spare or 2 to be on the safe side. Also the ring gear is real close to the diff cover, so think about protecting it. I personally went twith the Blue torch Fab kryptonite cover, and it is pure beef and has all ready taken a few direct hits.

If you plan on ever going bigger then 33's I say upgrade to the 8.8

cj7xjmj said:
I am running the 8.8 in my MJ. The only draw bask I have encountered is it does hang low in the rear, even on 35's. I also know 2 ppl who have busted the companion flanges on them, so pick up a spare or 2 to be on the safe side. Also the ring gear is real close to the diff cover, so think about protecting it. I personally went twith the Blue torch Fab kryptonite cover, and it is pure beef and has all ready taken a few direct hits.

If you plan on ever going bigger then 33's I say upgrade to the 8.8
Thanks for all the info everyone, but I think I'll just wait until I get to the point when I need to regear and then I'll make the decision.

Back