• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommend me some tires please! All-season tires, $60-90.

iBran

NAXJA Forum User
I need some new tires for my XJ. It rarely, if ever, sees any off-road action, so all-season tires are my preference. I've been looking at the BF Goodrich Long Trail in particular, and I'd like some more options. Costco has those tires for $89 installed, which fits my budget of about $60-90 per tire.

I currently have some Goodyear Wranglers (don't know the specific model, just says "Goodyear Wrangler Radial" on the sidewalls... been there since I got the Jeep last year) and they just kinda suck at everything -- they're noisy, they ride poorly, and they just don't have much traction on any surface... especially braking on snow/ice.

iBran said:
I need some new tires for my XJ. It rarely, if ever, sees any off-road action, so all-season tires are my preference. I've been looking at the BF Goodrich Long Trail in particular, and I'd like some more options. Costco has those tires for $89 installed, which fits my budget of about $60-90 per tire.

I currently have some Goodyear Wranglers (don't know the specific model, just says "Goodyear Wrangler Radial" on the sidewalls... been there since I got the Jeep last year) and they just kinda suck at everything -- they're noisy, they ride poorly, and they just don't have much traction on any surface... especially braking on snow/ice.

Size?

Check out wal-mart .com for tires. They may be comparable in price and offer free shipping to the wal-mart of your choice. I dont know where you are but I knopw Big-O tires here is doing alot of promotional discounts for all season tires. I just recently invested in some new tires also for my 89xj. I went higher than what you are budgeting yourself for though. I picked up Michelen LTX M/S's for about $115 a piece. I had tires similar to these when I first bought the XJ and they were great in snow and ice.

Zuki-Ron said:
225/75R15 is what I've got on there right now, IIRC.

I've heard some Costco managers can be picky about sizing; they'll only put on OEM size tires (lawsuits, anyone?). However, they've got the lowest price I've seen on the Long Trail, and that includes a road hazard warranty.

xjoe said:
don't know if their in your price range, I have always been happy with BFG at.
Yeah, I have several friends that are more than happy with their BFG ATs. I thought about getting them, but then considered how often I'd actually need an AT tire... just didn't seem worth it.

Of course, if I can find a nice deal on the ATs, I'll jump on em :)

If you were closer to my location, I would say make me an offer on mine. They are virtually new.

the Uniroyal Liberator A/T's are a good tire, they are made by BFG also. I'm a TLE manager for Wal*Mart and put set of 30's on my wifes ZJ. We on a trail that a stock rubi got stuck on with only a BB and those 30's. if they start talking about mounting "stock" sizes only them to look in the Tire Fitment guide. If you want to go bigger then you just have to take the wheels off and take them in w/o the jeep, thats the easiest ways to get around "stock size" problem.
let me know if you need anymore info.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...ating=&tire_equivalent_load_index=&tire_size=

Cooper tires have had some decent reviews and I love them on my 2000 xj.. Cooper Discover H/T are a great deal in my opinion. Price is decent, less than other brands, mileage is good. Handling has been awesome.. I use my jeep for hunting, fishing, etc.. have never been disappointed..

My vote is for the Walmart Libreators. My friend runs those on his 93' XJ (stock size) and hasent had any issues keeping up with me (BFG AT 30's) offrroad. And hes got quite a few miles on um, so they last quite a while.

Have been running Dominator radials, 30s for almost 5 years now!

Basically shop around and get a good a/t tire that has what specs you are looking for- good idea to learn what the numbers mean BTW- that has offers a decent warantee (say 40+K mile) I found some Pirelli scoprion on sale at about $100 ea. and the 4th was free so thats in your range.

I have not been impressed by the most popular brands (i.e. BFG) what I mean I don't think the much higher price is worth it.

I've been using TireRack online for tires for awhile now. About $30 to ship a set of four from 3 or 4 different warehouses around the country. Best selection, sizing and prices I can find anywhere.

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

Been using Yokohama G051 H/T's for 20K, great tires especially in the rain; they even give traction in mud. At $63/tire plus mount&balance I'm happy. Liked them so much I got a set of the Yoko A/T+II for off road use. Very mild mannered A/T's. Yoko makes an M/T tire for dedicated mud/off road use.

I just had to get 2 tires for my mom's 96 XJ country. Weird thing is that it came new from the dealer with 225/70/15 Goodyear Eagle GA's and she's been replacing them with the same since then. They suck big time, so I got her some Michelin LCXT4's from Sears for $100/each. I found the 1010tires.com reviews are a bit better than the tirerack ones since they carry more brands, like Nitto and Toyo.

otto said:
Been using Yokohama G051 H/T's for 20K, great tires especially in the rain; they even give traction in mud. At $63/tire plus mount&balance I'm happy.
I've purchased those Yokohama Geolandars H/T (old name) from Tirerack.com three years ago. The set lasted for 40K miles on my 89 XJ and wore very well until the end of life, pretty much. Quiet on the highway, good in rain, very good in snow (for all season tire). I even drove on the beach several times (very loose sand) and didn't get stuck (well ok, maybe for 10 mins this summer with treads barely passing inspection). Very much recommended -- I don't think you can get an equivalent competitor tire for Yoko's price.

otto said:
Liked them so much I got a set of the Yoko A/T+II for off road use. Very mild mannered A/T's. Yoko makes an M/T tire for dedicated mud/off road use.
I was looking at A/T+II as a replacement for Geolandars. How are they on the highway (snow, rain, mud if you had a chance to test in those environs)?

I've been running BFG AT/KO LT235's for the last three years or so, I get them at BJ's Wholesale, $112 out the door with a roadhazard warranty. They last about 60K but compared to Sears same tire at $135 it's a bargain. Also check out Sams club, they have 4 pack packages that are pretty resonable, those same tires there were $465 out the door. I just picked up 4 more of the BFG's for $200 when a local jeep owner went up 4" and they have less than 150 miles on them. Check out the local jeep clubs in your area, never know what you will find on there.

I was looking at A/T+II as a replacement for Geolandars. How are they on the highway (snow, rain, mud if you had a chance to test in those environs)?

I've tried to keep these tires off the highway as much as possible. I just got them for off road use. Compared to other A/T's I've ridden on other vehicles, they're really not too bad on the road as long as I keep the speed down. My concern is treadlife. Haven't had them long enough yet to see how they wear, but I don't mind jacking the XJ up and changing tires. So far I'm very pleased with their off road performance in mud, which is usually what they're on, and they're good in the rain. Snow is next!
User reviews of the A/T+II at TireRack pretty much agree with my impresssion of the tires. I haven't rated them yet, but when I do I'll put down very high numbers.
For an A/T tire you can't go wrong for the price. From my limited tire experience, Yokohama quality is at least as good as Michelin or Goodyear.

Last edited:
Back