• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Housing(s) bent???

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Axle A (One Ton's old D30, lock-rite 4.56) has leaks, and looks like the LF wheel is cambered in way too far. I 'might' have been mean to it at Tellico this year....as in a couple 4-5' lifts & slams. I think One Ton was always nice to it tho :dunno:

Axle B (my old MJ disco 30 TrueTrac 4.56) no leaks, but lost a LF wheel at 60-+, ruined a hub and ball joint, unclear if I set it back right. It also saw a couple runs up to Tellico. It drove fine, but it'd be nice to check it too.

I have access to a surveyor's total station, but unclear how to set up the shots needed w/o adding a ton of error. The knuckles would be tape measure easy...but their "skew & true" would be hard to see w/o a jig?

Axle A is less worrisome, since it is temporary for me, and intended to be flogged. I got it cheap, and if it gets a few more runs it's OK...

Axle B is more important and "may" migrate into my other XJ...be easier to swap axle housings than to swap the carrier/R&P. (since the XJ would get 3-4" lift then too) I'd have all 4 BJs redone if I 'knew' the housing or steering knucks were not gonked.

TIA for some insight into "industrial measuring"

My experience with seemingly "bent" axle tubes is that it usually turns out to be a hosed upper ball joint. Press in a fresh set of upper and lowers, and the camber usually comes back to spec.

However, given that we're dealing with OneLooseMarbleXJ and Knock-on-Woody, the housings might actually be bent.

CRASH

i took mine to have the front gears done at m.i.t and i got a call later that day. they said my tubes were bent and it needed to be sent out to be fixed. it cost a extra 150 but it did solve my camber problem and the pass side leak.

Back