• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED HELP with missing/popping under acceleration

wyominggun

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 1998 cherokee 4.0 I6 4X4 with 130.000 miles. It is in excellent shape, but when first taking off after starting it, I may get a mile or so down road and the engine will almost stop running, there will be a large POP sound from under the hood, it will then buck like a horse, then take off and run fine rest of trip. It even does this after being fully warmed up before driving. If in park, i can rev up engine several times and it will not miss a beat, jeep starts right up no problem and engine sounds good. Evan after warmed up, will drive a few miles with no problens , park and shut it off for a few minutes, start it back up, take off and it will do this again. Seems to only do it once per trip, usually within a mile or two of leaving. Sometimes longer than other times, sometimes will just miss and pop and stop rnning for a second then start back up, othertimes will keep missing and popping until all forward motion is lost then start running again. There has not yet been a check engine light displayed during any of this and when i check with my scan tool shows no codes, please help, can post here or email me at [email protected]

Check previous threads.....I seem to remember this happening to someone before. If I were to take a stab in the dark I think it was the CPS.

I had pretty much the exact same thing. After several purchased potential cures, I ended up replacing the MAP sensor and the upstream O2 sensor. One of those fixed the problem (I did them both at the same time). I would take a look at the O2 sensor to see if that'll fix it. If not, then it should be the MAP. Good luck.

Its the 02 sensor...the one before the catalytic converter. Replace it before it damages your cat. When you change it, make sure the cat isnt rattling around in there, if it is, make sure a good muffler shop puts a replacement on for you.

O2 sensors are about 50 to 80 dollars and a cat is about 150+ depending on kind and where you get it.

Last edited:
Back