• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Noise

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Alright, so I've had this noise that has been driving me nuts. I finally got the Jeep in the garage today to try and hunt it down. It's a metal to metal noise that occurs when I go over decent bumps. It is coming from the front right fender area. So I crawled all over my front end today. Everything was tight, nothing looked out of spec. So I started to bounce on that side to try and duplicate the noise, at which point I leaned on my hood.....

Click here to watch Hood-Noise94

It didn't take much force to duplicate that sound. So I know the bumps I am hitting at 45 mph are having no problems accomplishing that. I'm pretty sure its the striker. The passenger side does the same thing, just not as bad. It's only a $15 part from the dealer, so I'm not to worried about it. But I just thought I would see what everyone thinks. Striker, or another part?

I's been awhile since I looked at my hood, but I seem to remember a round rubber bumper in the front of the hood (near the safety catch). The hood rests on springs that hold a pretty good tension against the latch and catch. The rubber bumper sits between the hood and radiator cross brace. And can be adjusted.

I had a screeching metal to metal sound coming from up front and like to have never found it. The flange on the back of the hood had worn through the cowl gasket and was screeching on the metal channel that held the gasket. I yanked out the gasket and hammer down the flange for better cooling and quiter riding.

8Mud said:
I's been awhile since I looked at my hood, but I seem to remember a round rubber bumper in the front of the hood (near the safety catch). The hood rests on springs that hold a pretty good tension against the latch and catch. The rubber bumper sits between the hood and radiator cross brace. And can be adjusted.

Yeah, there is a rubber stop. Adjusting it does't do much, I have it set so the hood closes perfectly flush. At that point the sides can still be pushed down easily. There is not much tension on the striker latch on either side. I'm not sure how much is supposed to be there. But I know my hood did not move like that on the '94 or '91.

91 Jeep Project said:
Yeah, there is a rubber stop. Adjusting it does't do much, I have it set so the hood closes perfectly flush. At that point the sides can still be pushed down easily. There is not much tension on the striker latch on either side. I'm not sure how much is supposed to be there. But I know my hood did not move like that on the '94 or '91.
Hood hight, to the best of my recollection, is adjusted by the catches left and right. Then the stop is adjusted so it just touches.

Back