• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best repair manual for newbie, haynes?

Bird

NAXJA Forum User
I have been browsing these forums for a while and appreciate all the knowledge that passes through, what is the best repair manual for the xj like hayes or something else? I know nothing right now but really want to learn how to do my own repairs and modifications, and learn all the tricks, before I come and ask you stupid questions I should know, or search all kinds of threads, I would like it or them to go from basic to advanced percedures.

Bird said:
I have been browsing these forums for a while and appreciate all the knowledge that passes through, what is the best repair manual for the xj like hayes or something else? I know nothing right now but really want to learn how to do my own repairs and modifications, and learn all the tricks, before I come and ask you stupid questions I should know, or search all kinds of threads, I would like it or them to go from basic to advanced percedures.
FSM

Kejtar said:

Like Remi said the FSM for your year would be the best, they're expensive but worth it. If you're really debating between Haynes or Chilton's I would suggest Hayne's just from personal experience. I know a lot of people on here would suggest Chilton's I just like the fact that the Hayne's ones are XJ only unlike the Chilton's that covers Grand Cherokees and Grand Wagoneers as well. It's all a matter of preference but the FSM is still your best buy for sure.
My .02
-Collin

Factory manual or Chilton's. I have a Haynes - I use it to prop up the odd leg on one of my workbenches. Not very well-written, and does a poor job of explaining things when you need it to.

Considering that Chilton's and Haynes are typically within a couple dollars of each other, get the Chilton's for a starter manual.

Once you've used the Chiltons for a while and gotten used to it, try to find a Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your year - even if you have to buy it used. Those things are bibles for our vehicles, and well worth the money ($50-$100 each.)

5-90

I'll echo everyone else here. The FSM is second to none. The Chilton's is good in a pinch. But you should really look for a good FSM for your year. I have used mine more times then I can remember. I believe I paid $50 for the 4 Diagnostic Manuals, and $80 for the actual FSM.

FSM.jpg

not to steal thread but where could i find a FSM? i used the search and tried some of those areas but couldn't locate one. my local jeep dealer caouldn't even help me.

f-a-t-b-o-y said:
not to steal thread but where could i find a FSM?

techauthority.com if you want a new one directly from DCX. Worth every cent.

Beware the CDroms you might find on eBay, they may be copies of the copyrighted original. But if you're patient, a used, printed one for your year will eventually show up.

f-a-t-b-o-y said:
not to steal thread but where could i find a FSM? i used the search and tried some of those areas but couldn't locate one. my local jeep dealer caouldn't even help me.

Then find another dealer. They probably don't want you to buy one, because you won't come in for work!

ANY Chrysler owners manual should have the place to order it... or, as already mentioned, techauthority.com. IIRC, I ordered mine online thru them.

Den

I have the FSM, Chilton's and Haynes (the one that covers 2001 models ... the older revision has errors). The FSM is the best but expensive. I, personally, prefer the Hayne's over the Chilton as I think it has better pictures and covers more "real-world" type issues with more detail. Even with all three, I find the experience of people on this forum (especially for shade-tree work-arounds to having to buy specialty tools, and ways to not remove all parts the manual wants you to) invaluable.

Bottom line, I recommend Haynes for the newbie ... IMHO.

Last edited:
I would have to say that if you are a newb to wrenching get the FSM or Chilton's. If you are a good wrencher and just new to Jeeps a Haynes will suffice. Just keep a lookout for the FSM, they are many times better than anything else you will find.

In May I had my wife order me a FSM ('94) for my birthday, they were still showing on the DC website. Damn thing never came, though. Finally, we called them and found out it had been discontinued, but they'll make us photocopies for like twice the price. Wonderful. So, I would like to buy a '94 FSM if anyone has one they don't want/need.

BCParker said:
I'm saving up for a FSM, until then I rely on sometimes conflicting advise from the internet.
That's what NAXJA is for - eliminating craptastic answers.

(and often creating entirely new ones) :D.

I just got a hardcopy FSM off e-bay for $59 + $10 shipping for my 2000 xj. I think it also will have the cd-rom if anyone is interested, I prefer hardcopy as it is easier to read/use for me.

Not to hijack, but I'd be interested in a manual, too. I assume FSM means factory service manual and is the one that came with the vehicle or was issued for/by the vehicle manufacturer or some such? Are there any store guaranteed to have them, or should I just look to techauthority.com? Chilton's and Haynes - seems, since I'm a newb, I should look at Chilton's. Is is (along with Haynes) usually available at bookstores? Or at auto stores?

Thanks!

FSM = Factory Service Manual. While some dealers may take the extra time to help you find one, your best bet is likely going to be with eBay, NAXJA Classifieds, or www.techauthority.com The Chilton's and Haynes books are good to help get you pointed in the right direction, but they are rife with inconsistencies and too many generalizations. FSMs are model-year specific and detail every procedure which is why they are a large, expensive volume of work. They're well worth it however.

I don't have the programmes, but I have scanned some of the paper OEMR parts catalogues that I borrowed from my dealership (with their full understanding of what I was doing.)

What year? I might have scanned that one already. There might be holes tho - I'd not have scanned some sections (like tyres/wheels, stereo, &c.) and their collection may not have been compleat...

5-90

I just got off the phone from ordering an '89 FSM. I called TechAuthority, but they no longer carry this manual. They refered me to Bishko Auto Books (800) 544-3312. They're sending me a brand new original FSM for $129. Available for $20 less is a xeroxed version.

Back