• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few last minute things before lifting next weekend...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Okay got a '99 XJ Sport with nv242. Ordered RE 4.5" with a few upgrades and running 33s.

1. I am 95% sure I am gonna order a RE HnT SYE and High Angle Driveline shaft. I was told by Dirk I can give him my stock shafts length and he can go ahead and get the shaft ordered for me so I won't have to drive around in 4 wheel hi. Anyone had issues with this setup? Or with having someone assum the length of your shaft ahead of time? I am a big supporter of HD SYEs, but there is none out there for the 242. I am not buying into TW kit, its $250 more and is still not considered a HD kit.

2. What degree shims do I need to order? I hear with the longer shackle I should only need a 2.5* shim, but I am not sure. Surley someone on here has this setup?

3. Should I be worried at all about running 33s with my 3.55s for 3-4 weeks? I am just running my old X-Terrains that only measure 32" since there is 4-8 mm of tread left, lol.

4. I may go ahead and go 35s once I get regeared, I am wondering what extra front bump stop I am gonna need? I have the RE 4.5" with packs, JKS discos, HD TB w/ mount, adj. arms, JKS monotube shocks, and DPG rear bumpstop plates.

I think thats it.

I am waiting on my RE 4.5 kit to come in already got 285/75/16 MTR's

I am going to try and get by with out the SYE for a few weeks until I get 500 bucks to get the HD kit

I dont guess the gear will hurt anything it will just take away power

I have been spraying PB blaster on everything

LS1Jeep said:
I am going to try and get by with out the SYE for a few weeks until I get 500 bucks to get the HD kit

If you have a '97+ you won't be able to drive without an SYE. I've lifted XJs before and my old 2000 had a Rustys 4.5" on it and I drove it around my block and could barely stand it, just like being sea sick it vibed so bad....definately very bad for your t-case.

I just installed a 6.5" lift on my 97 XJ. With my lift came a 1" drop crossmember. Even that didn't help the vibes. They were terrible. Not to mention the fact it puts stress on your u-joints which in advance leads to the tcase.

I have the stock shackles on mine and 4 degree shims came with my lift. They work perfect. The angle is less than 3 degrees, and that's excellent.

The only difference you might notice with the 33's and 3.55's and the additional lift is gas mileage and power loss like LS1Jeep mentioned . If you've been running 33's for a while now, it probably won't be too different. The ratio in the differential will heat up your tranny a bit more than usual, and in turn wear it out after a long time. But 3-4 weeks shouldn't be a problem.

-Scott

LS1Jeep said:
It's a 96 .. I hope its not that bad ... If so I'll just park it
or maybe just FWD it lol ... not really

96' was the 1st year of the new slip yoke sorry.

Well got the lift on RE 4.5 act lift 5 1/4" ... no xfer case drop no SYE yet and best part no vibes !

SYE kit will go in next week or so ...

I'm running that setup that Dirk is talking about. I got the RE Hack n' Tap with the Hi-Angle CV driveshaft. I also have a 4* shim that Dirk suggested. I think the general rule of thumb is 1* per inch of lift until a certain point.

The RE 4.5 kit I have came with the T-case Drop. I ran it for a while until I got DPG's T-Case skid. Couldn't run the T-Case drop with the skid so I ditched the 1" drop. Other than a couple warn out ball joints I've never had any severe vibes with what I'm running now or even before with the 1" drop.

About the 33's(aka 32's) and stock gearing... I've been running 32's and stock and it hasn't been too bad. I just made sure I changed my trans fluid and had it flushed pretty recently.

Last bit of advice.... Start PBing now!

Lift is going on tommorow! Pray for no DW, lol. I have everything I think down to red/blue lock tite, longer center pins for my 4* shims to me been PB'ing for a few days.

I have a ? about the RE HNT SYE, on Dirks site it says to leave 1" of spline on the output shaft, but in the directions it says more (forgot now), so which is it?

ZachMan said:
Lift is going on tommorow! Pray for no DW, lol. I have everything I think down to red/blue lock tite, longer center pins for my 4* shims to me been PB'ing for a few days.

I have a ? about the RE HNT SYE, on Dirks site it says to leave 1" of spline on the output shaft, but in the directions it says more (forgot now), so which is it?
I went with Dirks Directions. 1" of spline on the shaft. Haven't had a problem with it so far.

Wackodrumr said:
I went with Dirks Directions. 1" of spline on the shaft. Haven't had a problem with it so far.

Thanks, I think the directions say like 1 1/8 or something. Meh I'll just go 1".

ZachMan and LS1Jeep,

Im waiting on my RE 4.5 kit as well (full packs) and I was wondering if you guys could post pics of your final product. I wanna show the pictures to my Jeep so she'll be excited for her new and improved look and hopefully let all her bolts come out nice and easy. LOL Like that will happen on 94 living in the "if it rains we throw down salt" region. Thanks guys...and if you have any little tips other than PB blasting...feel free to tell me. I seriously had a dream about doing the install last night....first lifted Jeep..can't wait.

pipes94xj said:
ZachMan and LS1Jeep,

Im waiting on my RE 4.5 kit as well (full packs) and I was wondering if you guys could post pics of your final product. I wanna show the pictures to my Jeep so she'll be excited for her new and improved look and hopefully let all her bolts come out nice and easy. LOL Like that will happen on 94 living in the "if it rains we throw down salt" region. Thanks guys...and if you have any little tips other than PB blasting...feel free to tell me. I seriously had a dream about doing the install last night....first lifted Jeep..can't wait.

PB blast it long as you can .. had to cut out a lot of front end bolts .. also the rear brake line was rusted almost in to...

I'll post some pics when I get tires on .. it looks stupid right now with little tires on it

I'll get you pics wednesday of mine on some bald 33" Xterrains.

x eleventy-brazilian on the PB Blaster. Read http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/45lift.html for more about the RE 4.5" lift.

45_lift_2.jpg

Jim

I have 5" of lift on my 2000 and never needed a sye or a t/c drop. just a 4 degree shim. I would order it but wait to see if you need it before you put it in. Chances are you will need it, but would'nt it be nice to get a locker, or other stuff.

Back