• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

302 Diff. on 85 xj

jeephick85

NAXJA Forum User
hello everyone , u might think that this post is stupid , but whatever. i have a 302 diff. that a dude wants 100$ which is locked, would this be a possible fit on an 85 xj??? thanks guys, jay

jeephick85 said:
hello everyone , u might think that this post is stupid , but whatever. i have a 302 diff. that a dude wants 100$ which is locked, would this be a possible fit on an 85 xj??? thanks guys, jay
302 diff? dude wants 100$ to sell you to buy from you? no comprende amigo

jeephick85 said:
ya i found it in the bond yard layin around just curious if i can get it to fit. he wants 100$ for it.
a 302 differential? as in axle? what is it? what did it come out of? how big is it? I have to say I have never heard of it (but that doesn't say much either)

I think he's trying to say he can get an 8.8 Ford rear out of a Mustang 5.0 (302 cid). Isn't the spline count on the Mustang 8.8 lower than the Exploder?

roke40 said:
I think he's trying to say he can get an 8.8 Ford rear out of a Mustang 5.0 (302 cid). Isn't the spline count on the Mustang 8.8 lower than the Exploder?
wow! I think it must be your close proximity to the northern border that allowed you to understand :D

sorry guys im soo damn dumb, its a differential out of a mustang 302, im not sure the year, im just wondering if possible to fit it, if not it dont matter, i just got excited cause its locked and is 100$$ thanks jay

if its mustang newer than 1981 it makes a difference as to what axle it is.

if it is, as we suspect, a ford 8.8 it is close to the correct width, but it is not the preferred 31 spline unit. and it has a few extra brackets that need to be removed (see torched) and new spring perches welded on

however if it is older than 1981 it is a different story.

one key question. does it have a removable rear cover?

or does it have 5 bolts around the pinion?

take a tape measure with you to see the WMS measurement

ok thats the right on answer i needed. ill just keep lookin for a 8.8 explorer or a 44. .... Another quick question how do i reduce the kb's in my pics to be able to post them on here? thanks guys, jay

jeephick85 said:
ok thats the right on answer i needed. ill just keep lookin for a 8.8 explorer or a 44. .... Another quick question how do i reduce the kb's in my pics to be able to post them on here? thanks guys, jay

It is about the same amount of work getting the Explorer axle set up too. But it comes a better width, proper bolt pattern, and with disc brakes (1996-1999)

jeephick85 said:
Howdy ALL. Do all the Explorers (96-99) come with the 8.8 or just a special model. what exactly would i need to change to get the 8.8 in place? thanx Jay

All of them come with the 8.8. even the V8 and the V6.

You would need to cut off all of the explorer mounts and weld on new leaf pads and shock mounts.

Bolt pattern is the same too.

ALL Ford Explorers had an 8.8, from 91 up. Some had disc, some had drum, all were the same width and 28 spline shafts. From 3.08 gears through 4.10s.

IdahoEagle said:
ALL Ford Explorers had an 8.8, from 91 up. Some had disc, some had drum, all were the same width and 28 spline shafts. From 3.08 gears through 4.10s.

:bs:

31 spline on the 96+ (with discs)

and maybe even earlier!

Back