• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how bad is road noise with no carpet

2000Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i am thinking in the spring i may pull my carpet and just duraback the interior.. im getting sick of having damp wet carpets everytime i go out wheeling and if i just duraback it i can just shop vac the water out and wipe it up and not have to deal with damp and soiled carpets.. plus im going to be running tube doors on all 4 doors. so ill be getting more water and mud in the interior..

Has anyone else done this with there DD? im not real concerned with road noise. hey its a jeep, i care more about function than comfort. ill just turn the radio up.. plus the only traveling i do is from my house to school and then to work.. no highway driving at all..

are there any other things i should be concerned with?

Thanks

mike D

Mine is a daily driver andI removed the carpet because it wasmoldy and nasty.
The road noise is horrable but the real issue is the heat. In the summer the AC can't keep up with the heat radiating off the transmission tunnel and the floor above the exhaust gets really hot.

I did it out of necessity. and I learned these things:

dont leave anything on the floors above the exhaust, and if you do dont touch it till it has a chance to cool. my wife tried to show me how hot the dog leash got and I ended up with a clip shaped 1st degree burn on my arm.

I now cant hear anyone on my cellphone.

you can't even hear the original xj wind noise.

you're gonna want some thick rubber floor mats.

the creases and crevices and places for dirt and mud to congregate multiply.

to get the interior "clean" I have to pull out the seats.

the center console floats above the tranny tunnel, and will neve sit flush again.

you can tell when your u-joints and cv joints are going bad a lot quicker.

you will hear your t-case and start to worry.

but once you get used to it its fine.

if BingBing will chime in here, he has no carpet, i think he said that one of his feet melted off...:laugh3:

it is loud. Hopefully once i get a day of nice weather im going to bed line it and get some thick rubber mats to hopefully take away some of the noice. Oh and while your at it you will prob have to fix rust. I found two decent sized rust holes when i pulled my carpet out. As fas as heat goes it isnt to bad for me, i dont really notcie it in the summer cause i cruise with no dorrs and in the winter i use it to warm my hands, so its nice.

If you want to go without carpet look for a thread from just over a year ago. There is a paint out there which has ceramic particles in it and it should provide you with enough thermal insulation. Thing is... the paint is not cheap.

Mine is just bare metal. It depends on how hardcore you are. I like mine a whole lot better w/out carpet. I have the two 3'' drain holes up front on both sides of the tunnel and it makes it very easy to clean out. I also redid my exhaust to get the heat out from under the floor board.

afd516 said:
Mine is just bare metal. It depends on how hardcore you are. I like mine a whole lot better w/out carpet. I have the two 3'' drain holes up front on both sides of the tunnel and it makes it very easy to clean out. I also redid my exhaust to get the heat out from under the floor board.

How "hard core" do you have to be?
How do you redo your exhaust to "get the heat out from under the floor board"?

You can be as hardcore as you want to be. I dot consider myself to be that hardcore. I just have a love of the offroad vehicle and I do what I think is necessary(sp) to do what needs to be done. Other people that see my xj might consider it to be hardcore.

I will post a pic of my exhaust tommorrow. It will be easier to see than to explain. :laugh3: BTW it not dropped.

i have had my carpet out for some time now.and i have the meijer cheapy truck bed liner ready to go in when it warms back up this spring. other than that i found set of silverado racing floor mats(freebie) and they absorb alot of heat and sound noise when combined with my stock mats..it nice though cuz i can take em out to dry after i wheel if they get wet or if i forget to take em out before i wheel...my girlfriend doesnt seem to mind the noise to much...so it cant be that bad....

Maier

The most annoying thing about not having carpet is the excess heat from the tranny tunnel and engine *not so bad during the winter... it'll work faster than my heater* :D, and the fact that I can hear all of my poly bushings squeaking constantly. Haven't had a chance to wheel without carpet, but we'll see how much fun that'll be soon enough.

A friend of mine gutted his CJ and drove it around bare and it was pretty loud...kinda like driving around in a tin can. He had the whole floor covered fairly thick with rhino lining and it cut down on the resonating noises ALOT and seemed to dampen alot of the road noise too.

But since your going to be running tube doors, i kinda doubt youd notice any extra noises without any carpet.

O Yes!........road noise.......i know all about running w/o carpet

it sounds like a BIG OLD trash going down the road

And watch out for RUST!!!!
thats y i pulled my carpet

There was a point were i could see all 4 tires from inside of my jeep :p

i1dx7s.jpg

i1dxc6.jpg

Well I've been driving around with no carpet and no muffler for a while now, and its....bearable. I will say that I can feel the heat form the tranny tunnel coming in. It all depends on how comfortable you want the vehicle to be. I can stand alot of noise and such, I just turn the tuned up higher :D. But I have been trying to get mine trail lined, just cant find a compressor. I am goign to put a magnaflow muffler on so for me, once thats done it will be 100x quiter than before, but still no caddy ride. I have heard of some guys putting aluminum, tin whatever type stuff that is above the cat and muffler on newere XJ's above the tranny in the tranny tunnel to get rid of some heat? Anyone done it or think it would work?

Back