• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budget lift question(yes i searched)

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
Well, as long as we're getting picky, the "i" should be "I" as he is refering to himself. <shrug> They probably teach that in "keyboarding" class :laugh3:

Anyway...

I'm not big on the front spacer idea. If you're going 3" use coils, not spacers.
In my minds eye, spacers are good for leveling the vehicle, like when you install a Winch. A 3" coil spring allows more travel than a stock coil spring and a spacer.

You can get a set of full lenght AALs for $60 from Rustys.

You will need to sell shocks with your kit. The OEM shocks that were on my 98' would not extend far enough to hook on when I installed my 3" lift.

X2 on the search. This has been covered so many times, it's not even funny.
Also X2 on doing basic web research and seeing what MFRs offer out there.

There are some OEM parts combinations which work like Ford FS truck shocks, ZJ stock coils... I'm sure you can find something here by poking around the archives.

as far as brake lines are conserned, dont worry about buying new longer ones for just 3 in lift. if you look at the mounts for the soft lines (all other lines are hard lines exept where they connect to the axle) they can all be moved lower for the extra lift. just drill new holes for the front, and remount the rear one at a better location. you might have to cut the hard line and just add a little section. you can rent all the tools from an autoparts store. all you need is a flaring tool.

If your going to add some line to the rear and have to bleed it anyway why not just put a yj rubber hose on and do it right.

Thanks for all the input, I guess more than cheap, im looking at simple, with the dakota spring swap, i would have to drop the axle and remove the leaf springs(although with the block lift i would have to drop the axle as well)

has anyone had any experience with Rusty's full length all's? I think that might be the best bet in terms of staying on the cheap also.

whats X2 mean?

Zuki-Ron, your right, the i should be an I, however since i type 67+ words a minute sometimes i get carried away and forget to capatalize, it makes things go quicker:) (usually have spell check with grammar check)

Also the front spacers, I can make here at work for less than $10 for the pair, which is why I figured find a way to lift the rears on the cheap, that way some of the local xj's around here can get to sitting higher, and save up for a good lift. Ive had a lot of people ask me of a cheap lift, so I figured I'd set out to set one up.

Alex

Last edited:
I used Rustys AAL on my 87 XJ. I barely felt ANY increase in spring rate. The flex was great as well. Actually, I eventually combined the AAL, a 2" block and the Rustys shackle. Great ride, no wheelhop whatsoever. And I did bi-weekly Swamper burnouts at my gym (with a 44 w/ a mini-spool).

derek, so you didnt notice any stiffer ride with rusty's aal? cool thats what im trying to get to, for my jeep im gonna drop some fsj d44's in it eventually, but for now just the budget lift

did I read this right? 5" coil spacers is a bad idea. 3" blocks will cause more problems than anything. You are still looking at a Tcase drop and something for the track bar.

My biggest word of advise is: Do it once, do it right

If you are hard up for cash now than just do a BB lift using shackles/spacers. Then you can save some cash up and get a 3-3.5" kit from a reputiable company. By doing so, you can combine your two lifts and end up around 5.5" overall and easily run 33s which I have found to be about a perfect combination. If you construct some frankenlift you will be a danger to yourself and others. Also it will cost you more in the long run.

girlscout, I hate to say it but you read the post way wrong, ive made 3" spacers for the front, and was looking at what option to raise the rear 3" in the rear.

however I think I know where you are getting 5", but Ive made completly seperate 2" spacers incase I cant find any thing decent for the 3" rear

Back