• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check my gear pattern D44HP

1toughxj

NAXJA Forum User
What do you R & P experts think. Too shallow??? Backlash is @ .009" I got .036" behind the pinion. How much should I add behind the pinion? Or would you run it.

Is the setup for a front R & P not as critical being that it's not running all the time?

Driveside
drive2.jpg

Coastside
coast2.jpg

Ben
2001 XJ

Last edited:
Rawbrown said:
Base setting for a D44 pinion depth is .042" total shim.
decent pics. next set stand back and get the whole gear in the pic.
what numbers can you get off the pinion? should be a 3 digit # and then maybe an initial and a +/-#.
.036" is a shallow setting. I suggest adding .004"-.006" to the pinion shim pack and don't touch the backlash. The BL will tighten up just a bit. then recheck. my guess is that your gonna end up adding maybe another .010" or so to get the pattern nice.
But you can see a definative pattern that indicates to shallow. watch that pattern get deeper with each addition to the pinion, then it will lighten up do to a really large pattern. youll also feel things smooth out so to speak when you are turning the gears. its hard to describe.
but your off to a good start.

Ditto, add .010 and take some pics.

I will add another .010" tonight and see where it goes with that. The pinion only has an absolute pinion depth of 2.633" engraved on it, which I had in my mind that it would need a shallow setup. I think that is opposite of what it really needed. So with the pinion engraved 2.633" and the standard being 2.625", is that saying I will need .008" extra under the pinion to tighten that dimension up to 2.625" from the ring gear centerline??

Last edited:
Ok, did some more work on the R & P on the HP D44. Ended up adding .015" behind the pinion to now having .051". Backlash is now @ .006. Am I still shallow, or would you run it?

Drive Side
drive3.JPG

Coast Side
coast3.JPG

Oxlocker
oxlocker.JPG

Run it...

oh god no, DO NOT run it. what the hell are you thinking?
If an installer is setting up gears and sending them out the door with that bad of a pattern then they have no business touching a set of gears.
keep adding shim and adjusting BL till the crown-to-toe is centered.
I'd add another .008" to the pinion and reset the BL.

Rawbrown said:
oh god no, DO NOT run it. what the hell are you thinking?
If an installer is setting up gears and sending them out the door with that bad of a pattern then they have no business touching a set of gears.
keep adding shim and adjusting BL till the crown-to-toe is centered.
I'd add another .008" to the pinion and reset the BL.

I'm always short. :D

he can start with adding .003" and keep checking the pattern. bottom line is that its still shallow. hell, he could dive in a toss .020" into it and come up on the other side. thats fine too. Setting up gears is mostly only time consuming. Patience is probably one of the biggest requirments when setting up gears. i applaude those that take on the challenge themselves, but I get a little uneasy when they get "bored" with it and make do with the half ass pattern that they get. Sometimes I get a good pattern on the first try. other times ive had to add and remove shims more times than I wanna count. But the bottom line is be patient.

BTW, you can use alot less marking compound. I only lightly brush it on 2 teeth both sides. then it doesn't get all over the place. and when I need to add a bit more I simply "erase" the mark without adding much to the brush.

Back