• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 Jeeo Cruise Control

ZombiE

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, new here

Problem Part 1

I just installed a cruise control system for my Jeep. It is the exact same kit that the dealer used to install. It is/was made by mopar and it came with a dealer instruction booklet. It has three pieces to it. The switch panel, that mounts under the airbag, the vacuum canister, in the engine compartment and a new clockspring. Everything plugs into the factory wiring harnesess.

I installed the units and it will not work. There is one light next to the on/off button that will not light up. I checked at the back of the connector leading to the switch panel, I do not have schematics for the cruise control, but I did have 12VDC on one of the pins.

Anyhow to make a long story short, are there any other items I need for this unit to work? I put fuses in the three empty slots on the fuse panel, just to make sure I was getting power, but in the Haynes manual (Junk) that I have it does not list anything for the cruise, they say to take it to the dealer. Am I missing a relay somewhere or the input from the computer or something. There are only two connection to this install. One at the back of the switch panel and one and the vacuum canster.

Part 2:

Received the Jeep back today and they told me that the switch assembly, the one on the steering wheel was shorted out. Well I brought the Jeep home and took the switch apart. I didn't want to chance breaking it before I took it to the dealer. There is a curcuit board with three switches and 5 resistors.

Just a tad bit of background info: I have been an electronics tech for over 13 years.

Ok, back to the story, so I ohm'd out the switches and the board with nothing wrong with it what so ever. Hmmm, The guy at the jeep dealer told me that is what the "Computer" said was wrong. They can order a new switch and put it in for $87.79 and if that doesn't fix it, it won't, then they will have to start trouble shooting at $57.00 an hour, screw that with wet poop on a stick.
Anyay, I am begging for someone with 95 Jeep, or years around that, with a scanner to please scan trhen schematics and email them to me. Please!!!!

I am ordering the Service Manual for the Jeep but I can't do that until next week. Plus I can't find any where around here that sells Chilton Manuals, they all carry Haynes, which I already own.

Thanks goes out to anyone that can point me in a new direction,

Alex

Your cruise control does not have a fuse, it gets its power from the computer. Since you just installed it, the computer probably does'nt know it's there. Disconnect the battery, wait 30 seconds and reconnect. Also check the vacumn line, if you have little or no vacumn, it will not work.

LOL damn Fireman digging things up from the past, I like it.

I had the wrong switch. The guy that sold me the Cruise kit had a 95 and a 96. The 95 doesn't have an LED next to the switch. So I sent him the switch assembly back and he sent me the correct one. Plugged it in and bam, what do you know, it worked. Been using it ever since.

Alex

...better late than never you know, if truth be told, I didn't pay attention to the date it was posted, but if you are like me some fixes/projects get put on the back burner....Jim

Back