• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sticky steering?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
I just test drove a '93 Sport I'm interested in. It's sat on and off for the past year or so. It has this weird "Lump" in the steering? When turning the wheel it's gets tight, then back to normal, then back to tight? It does this in both directions. The seller tells me it wasn't like this before it sat... COULD THIS HAPPEN FROM SITTING? What could it be?

barillms said:
I just test drove a '93 Sport I'm interested in. It's sat on and off for the past year or so. It has this weird "Lump" in the steering? When turning the wheel it's gets tight, then back to normal, then back to tight? It does this in both directions. The seller tells me it wasn't like this before it sat... COULD THIS HAPPEN FROM SITTING? What could it be?
Needs a good grease job.

might be the steering damper. if there's a rust "ring" where it sat for so long without the steerng being cycled it might be tearing up the seal each time it "bumps". my 90 XJ did that for a while when i first got it but it seemed to go away after a while.

you may need a new intermediate steering shaft. mine did the same thing when i first got it and it went through almost the same story before i got it too. at first, i replaced the steering damper but it still remained until i realized that both u-joints on the steering shaft were shot.

The steering box's preload adjuster may be too tight. If it gets tight when the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position and looser when turned to either side, this may be your problem.

Back