• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn the ignition...Nothing...?

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
yesterday i go out to my xj ('90 Auto 4x4 4" skyjacker lift) and i put the key in the ignition and turn it... nothing happends... no clicking sound or anything. So after turning the ignition on and off a few times... i got under the xj and started it directly from the starter(with a screwdriver). Then this morning i went out to my xj and it started up fine, normaly. What do you think the problem is? Thanks. -Austin

Beachmonkey6 said:
yesterday i go out to my xj ('90 Auto 4x4 4" skyjacker lift) and i put the key in the ignition and turn it... nothing happends... no clicking sound or anything. So after turning the ignition on and off a few times... i got under the xj and started it directly from the starter(with a screwdriver). Then this morning i went out to my xj and it started up fine, normaly. What do you think the problem is? Thanks. -Austin
To much salt water in the NSS.

Try starting it in neutral. If this works it is likely the Neutral Safety Switch. I have the same trouble with mine. I heard you can pull it and clean it or replace it. This is a common problem with jeeps so do a search on the forum and you can get what look like good write ups. One of these days I will pull mine, until then I start in neutral.

Try turning your key to “run” does your radio & accessories work?
Try turning your key backwards to “Accessories”, does your radio work?
If these test ok, then your ignition switch should be fine.
If you can jump it directly and it starts every time, your starter is fine.
Check beside the battery & fuse panel on the pass side wheel well for a starter relay. locate which wire runs to the ignition, battery, and starter solenoid. Put your key in the “run/on” position. Take a short length of wire and jump between ignition & starter solenoid. If it starts then, it’s the starter relay ($7). This part will fail slowly, working most of the time, and eventually just stop working.

it wouldnt start in neutral either... and i could turn the key to the "run" position so that my radio and accessories do work... i will check my starter relay and see if thats the problem. Thanks. -Austin

Well, it must be the season for NSS's to go out.....

I've been trying to track down intemittent starting issues on my Cherokee as well. CPS is good since I can hear the fuel pump spin. Accessories and Run work as well. Just replaced Starter solinoid and cleaned up all wires.

Anything else to check besides NSS?

Back