• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tornado

alpinetiburon04

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard of some people getting like 23 mpg with one of these tornado intake gizmos on a 4.0L. Anyone have any opinions about this? I'm averaging about 17 with a stock XJ and I can't imagine getting another 6 mpg from this.

well lets see a restriction in the intake duct-less air-less fuel-leaner mixture-possible fuel mileage increase-more throttle opening to compensate for less air flow hmm... more fuel used.besides think about it it is supposed to swirl the air comming in--until it hits the throttle body plate then it breaks up at that point-usless in my opinion.plus even though it is a solid unit.just image if it did come apart.yeah it looks good in a clear tube but there is no throttle blade to show what happens after the air breaks up from hitting the blade-the only thing that makes sence to your idea is a spacer after the throttle body to swirl the air after the blade-but then again it hits the intake bottom and breaks up again.still useless,in my opinion.

alpinetiburon04 said:
I've heard of some people getting like 23 mpg with one of these tornado intake gizmos on a 4.0L. Anyone have any opinions about this? I'm averaging about 17 with a stock XJ and I can't imagine getting another 6 mpg from this.
Send me a certified check for $50. I guarantee you that when I cash it your jeep will gain 8mpg :D

I regularly got over 20 mpg in my old cherokee with one. of course it was 2wd and standard tranny. when I was 17 I was stupid and into gimmicks and bought one. I passed it on to someone else when I totaled it. In retrospect it was probably a giant waste of money. the only time it would actually affect airflow past the Throttle body is at WOT.

A pretty silly notion alltogether since you buy a K&N to create a faster, smoother airflow
then stick this thing right behind it to generate turbulence.

I have, however toyed with the Idea of scoring my intake ports/combustion chamber to induce a swirl. it seems to me that if you want a good swirling fuel air mix then you should do it as it enters the chamber.

the TB breaks up the swirl, splitting the intake int 6 seperate parts breaks it up, and then the valve breaks it up. Has to be useless, like a magnet on the fuel line.......

the only people that benifit from those so called mileage increasers are the manufacuteres them selfs.you see,the money that they make from those sales are mileage increasers it self-due to the fact that they dont care how much gas costs now.a sale = free fuel!:wstupid:

no no no, it works great once you adjust the dicfer and torque down the muffler bearings to 70 lf per foot, so that the exit flow increases the internal cumbustion of the fuel. Im telling ya it works.

duh what's a dicfer?(no don't answer that)only if you calculate the coiefficiency percentage on those muffler bearings-like normal wear and tear,age,mileage and the such.

right but the cooefficient of drag in torqued muffler bearings causes engine ground defaulting. you'll have to check your alternator fluid levels pretty often, unless you switch to a smaller plug wire, cause they carry/leak less.

so then what you are stating is that if were to say fill my fuel tank with liquid expanding foam then my fuel gauge would read full all the time causing the pcm to believe that the tank is indeed full and never shut the engine down due to the never ending fuel level?or (oh brother)do i need to calculate that one as a speculative assumption of fuel to weight ratio only when driving?or if i idle for an extended amount of time will the muffler bearings cause a defalt as well?:roflmao:

foam is weight, instead use a strip of duct tape to hold the needle on full. this should cause an internal fuel feedback loop. but youll need to regulate that now unlimited supply so an adjustable fuel regulator becomes necessity.

or do you think that if i put in some correction fluid in the tank it may do the regulating eliminating the need for the adjustable fuel regulator?of course i will have to link the turbonator thingy into the fuel system-regulated and non-regulated so it can bias the two inputs for calculating the endless supply to oversee the fuel usage aspect ratio.:wierd:

goodburbon said:
I regularly got over 20 mpg in my old cherokee with one. of course it was 2wd and standard tranny.

I got mid 20s normally in my 94 with 4.0, AX-15, 8.25 axle. NO MODS INTAKE OR EXHAUST. Just some 235s. Sounds like you paid someone to take gas from you. :(

goodburbon said:
foam is weight, instead use a strip of duct tape to hold the needle on full. this should cause an internal fuel feedback loop. but youll need to regulate that now unlimited supply so an adjustable fuel regulator becomes necessity.

zip tie would be easier!

Back