• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ differential selection

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Hello everybody,

Both differentials on my 1996 XJ with NP231 are currently open. Recent visit to the slick rock trail clearly showed this configuration is not ideal. I want to increase traction without compromizing driveability on slippery roads a tiny bit. I decided to put TrueTrac in the rear and manual locker, like ARB, in the front. TrueTrac is supposed to enhance traction on slippery roads and somewhat on trails. The fact it'll transfer almost zero torque to a wheel when another wheel on the same axle spins freely I like very much.

Here are a few questions I'd like to hear different opinions on:

1. Are there any problems with running locker in the front and torsen in the rear ? Again, it's NP231. May be it's better to put torsen in the front as well ? It's definitely much cheaper and some of the pictures posted earlier proved XJ with a couple of torstens can go over pretty difficult terrain.

2. Should I upgrade my front OEM Dana 30 axle shafts to something stronger right away ? If I should, what other parts should be upgraded ?

3. Are there any other torsen diffs available, besides Detroit truetrac, for Chrysler 8 1/4 and Dana 30 ?

4. Does anybody know a place where I could buy NEW truetrac cheap ?

Thank you,
Andrey

The TT is by defination cheep.
I'd lock the rear and selectable the front. Even though limited slips will get you to places you want to go, there is no comparision to a locker.

Back