• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chop top

hockeyplurr

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anybuddy had a write up on chopping the top on a 4dr. I searched and couldnt find anything, also is the backseat still useable??

hockeyplurr said:
I was wondering if anybuddy had a write up on chopping the top on a 4dr. I searched and couldnt find anything, also is the backseat still useable??

What kind of chop do you mean?

A four door pickup type of conversion or a convertable/no top chop? Either can be done and still use the back seat.

One way to build the bed sides
standard.jpg

Use the XJ roof all the way back
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The project is not nearly complete; however, you may be able to take something from this pic of my 2000XJ. Its raining here and my wife isn't done with the soft top. Her sewing maching has become part of my destroyed jeep part bin. When I'm done, I will do a write up and post all the progress pics as I chopped and built it up. I'm going to make the soft top slant back. I went to the local hobbie shop and found heavy duty industrial snaps to connect the top. I will be using weather stripping and silicone adhesive to seal the top. I will be using bodo to make it look good. In about three weeks, search for (Chopped 2000XJ). Good luck!

DSC00131.jpg

I have been building these to tie the cage into the frame. There are 8 connection points. The four in the back are bolted into the frame already. I will be using brackets like these to tie the front 4 in. I have a huge piece of 1/2" thick angle steel. The steel is cold worked and a pain to chop up, but will definatly do its job.

Cagewedge.jpg

Harvo said:
I know its unavoidable with all the thin metal, but do you think all the bondo will crack as the unibody twists and flexes??

Yes, it will.

:)

Here's what it looks like currently.....with the cage finished, and a few other things.

standard.jpg

Goatman said:
Here's what it looks like currently.....with the cage finished, and a few other things.

standard.jpg

Goatman,

I rubbed a tree onto the rear of my XJ by the gas input this weekend. I would love to do something like you have done with that diamond plate to cover up the damage and strengthen the sides. What kind of diamond plate did you use for the sides and how did you connect it?

HaZakated said:
Goatman,

I rubbed a tree onto the rear of my XJ by the gas input this weekend. I would love to do something like you have done with that diamond plate to cover up the damage and strengthen the sides. What kind of diamond plate did you use for the sides and how did you connect it?

I think it's 3/16's, and of course it's aluminum. It's attached with pop rivets. Pretty simple, really.

Back